Thread: Bass Pickup Height -

Bass Pickup Height -

Ok -

I have seen this in the 6 string area again and again and again....

What about on basses?

I Bought an SX bass, installed a used set of Fender Lace Sensor P and J pups and it sounds really good. It feels great and really is comfortable. I have fooled with height - set to fender specs and adusted out, set to LS specs and adjusted out, (I don't have the specs in front of me now, but did at the time) and worked them by ear.

They have been set up high and set up low. Much punch and volume loss if too low, too muddy or "harmonic if too high. The problem is - in the middle, which is just right?

I have been playing through an older 2x15 peavey cab, and when I plug into something else, it just doesn't sound right. Chances are, I am just not adjusting the head right, or maybe I am expecting something that doens't exist.

When I first installed them...it was like.....Name a tone -
    .....Yeah I can get that. Not now.....or was I just wowed because they (pups) were new (to me anyhow?)

Anyone else have this happen?

I love the bass, and it *does* sound good. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Thanks

FJ

Re: Bass Pickup Height -

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson
    , I am just not adjusting the head right, or maybe I am expecting something that doens't exist.
    Hi Frank!

I'm going to take a wild stab. If you can get a tone you like out of one amp, it's probably not the bass. If you're having trouble getting your bass to sound like your bass through other amps, chances are it's a matter of "headspace and timing." I just know it took me an embarrasingly long time to figure out what freq's I liked and didn't like, and how to translate that onto other amps that I wasn't familiar with.

Am I in the neighborhood?
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Davey -

That sounds close-ish. The other part is that sometimes the tone is thin or transparant. I think your comment about freq. is probably good.

I am expecting a 2x10 Avatar this week - I will marry it up with my T-max head and 2x15 cab. Most likely....at home I will only use the 2x10 and leave the 2x15 where I practice. MAkes toting a lot easier -

I may even just leave the Peavey head at pactice too, that way - all I have to tote is the bass......

I will wait to make any adjustments after the new addition arrives....

I was just curious if this happened to anyone else.

Thanks for the feedback - others welcome too.......

FJ

OK -

Here we go -

Tha Avatar cab came today. Adjusted pups up, down and all in between. Sounded ok....but not great.

I never did rate the pots in this bass when I installed the Lace Sensors - should have been 250K - but I never checked (still have't).

Just for S&Gs (Shits and Giggles) I re-installed the origninal SX Pups.

Mikey - DO NOT CHANGE YOURS OUT ! They sound just friggin wonderful.

I may have wired the LS pups wrong, although I did it per the scematic. Pots may be off, cap may be wrong.....doesn't matter - originals are back in - and seem abolutely fine. The cab is great and life is good. NOw I must find out what I did wrong in pup installation, or find out if one or both are bad somehow.

Thanks for listening, and again - any ideas would be appreciated.

FJ