Thread: What wood is my Jimmy V Strat made of

What wood is my Jimmy V Strat made of

Its a black 1999, serial number MSM619355. Any clues the wood is a dark brown and it's quite light.

Re: What wood is my Jimmy V Strat made of

They were veneered poplar until sometime in 2000-2001 when poplar got more expensive than Alder so they switched to alder.

Thanks, so by Veneer do you mean a top and bottom piece joined onto multiple other pieces of the same wood or different wood?? And how do they sound next to other types of wood with solid construction.

The way they do the veneer is around the body if you remove the PG screws or tremelo screws you can see it in the screw holes.

Its about 1/64" thick. I could never get my JV to sound the way I thought a Strat should went thru 5 sets of pickups. WHat I should have done is sell the body and buy an ash or alder body for it cause it had the best neck ever and the tremelo stayed in tune real good.

But I have heard other JV's that sounded fine so I must have just got a dead sounding one. Actually what my problemn was is I couldnt any bass response out of it just thin tones no matter what I tried.

Cheers, just tryed it out for the first time today. Sounds great through my 60's Vox AC30, but not quite right through the early 70's Marshall Superlead. I agree the neck is the best out of all the fender line-up I've tryed, might have to find a nice light Ash body for it, is there a differance in sound between one and two piece bodies.

Yes a difference go for the 1 piece all the best guitars makers try to use 1 piece bodies. The theory is because the whole body resonates at the same frequency where as a 2-3 piece body would be broken up and wouldnt sound as good. I think if the center part is big and small pieces are added to the sides thats ok but a 1 piece is best of all.