Thread: Crafted in Korea?

Crafted in Korea?

Just won an auction on ebay for a left handed Squier for very little. It's Sunburst, in 9.5/10 condition, the wood is a little less figured than ash. It has a satin neck which has 2 string trees; the guitar is very heavy, and has the die-cast saddles on a vintage trem. It has "Crafted in Korea" stamped near the heel on the neck, together with a 6 digit serial number.

Everything is stock and the pups are not the shiney ones like on the MIMs. Alnicos???

Given the reason for buying it was to build a "voodoo" strat, I had 100% intention of keeping the neck and part the rest out. But after plugging it in and tried it out, boy this is one resonant Strat with great sustain that would be a shame to see "parted out".

Hmm, what should I do?
    Last edited by gloriyang; 07-15-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Re: Crafted in Korea?

If you like it the way it is, play it.
    Does it say Pro-Tone on the headstock? I've got one of those. It's a very nice guitar, although the neck is too skinny.

gy.....keep it as is. buying a guitar *just* to part-it-out seems wrong.

kinda like killing someone intentionally then asking, "so,... who needs eyes? how about a leg? who needs a leg?"

jmho........8]
    Imanidiot.

Frank- yep, I felt that at the beginning, but I tried to ignore that feeling.

And it is too good a Strat to be "slaughtered". Right, back to eBay it goes then. Let's hope it finds a good home.

whoa....whoa.....i didn't say that!.....8]

why not just keep it? i mean, it's already in your posession. and you said it was nice. c'mon, you deserve it. it prob wasn't terribly expensive.

so you're saying it's a lefty and you're a righty? i always wanted to do that, too; the hendrix thing.

my initial response was primarily a knee-jerk reaction b/c i see so many guitars parted-out on ebay. i just get this picture of a sleasy non-musician just disassembling guitars in his basement for parts=money.

i've done a few parts-o-casters, but they came to me that way (as parts-o-casters), and i just reassembled a few to my liking. as a matter of fact, i don't think i ever took apart a factory guitar to switch it with others. i prob could have made money that way, but it almost seemed sacriligious.

don't mind me, i'm weird!
    Imanidiot.

TFF Stage Crew

Part it out!

Leo would have glued the necks on if he hadn't intended on us taking them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriyang
    And it is too good a Strat to be "slaughtered". Right, back to eBay it goes then. Let's hope it finds a good home.
    I know how you feel. I just sold a set of Curtis Novak hand wound custom pickups that I got to do an review on. I had them in my Squire Strat that I paid $50.00 for at GC....

Yes, $185.00 set of pickups in a $50.00 guitar... I just felt they were being wasted and should go to someone who would really appreciate them and really use them.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    whoa....whoa.....i didn't say that!.....8]

why not just keep it? ...
    i've done a few parts-o-casters, but they came to me that way (as parts-o-casters), and i just reassembled a few to my liking. as a matter of fact, i don't think i ever took apart a factory guitar to switch it with others. i prob could have made money that way, but it almost seemed sacriligious.

don't mind me, i'm weird!
    Yes, scarilagious, that is how I feel about this really nice little Strat. So no, I don't think you are weird on the basis of that. If it wasn't so nice I probably would not have felt like I was committing such a gross act of sacrilage. And I can't really keep it - there could be room for it if I worked on it, but it's not really likely to see daylight, as I have my Mojo-San "recontituted" Strat and a Squier to noodle on.

And I KNOW I would make money on it - the entire guitar cost less than a unfinished lefty neck on it's own. But this one little Squier is too nice to be sacrificed/slaughtered to be part of my homemade voodoo Strat!!

Any lefties out there in the UK who can offer a home for this Squier?