Thread: String Gauge

Forum Member

String Gauge

I recently switched from 10s to 12s. I threw on all 5 springs and got the bridge flush with the body as I do not use the tremolo. Will this damage the guitar?

Im afraid of screwing something up.

Any help appreciated.

Re: String Gauge

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Lots of folks here use 12's. You will of course have to tweak your truss rod an re-set the intonation but 12's are good.

I think they came standard with 12's back in the day------.

What guitar do you have?

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member

American series standard strat. Damn, so I'll have to tweak my truss rod? I set the intonation and action perfectly, is there a real need to fool with the truss rod?

The truss rod might still be in adjustment, but it is unlikely with such a jump in string guage and hence tension. These adjustments are personal to a certain degree, so if it plays well, doesn't buzz too much, and the neck isn't a banana, you may be OK. It's definitely worth checking though...
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Forum Member

Plays great, no buzz. From what I can tell the neck isn't a bannana. Think it needs adjusting?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD
    Plays great, no buzz. From what I can tell the neck isn't a bannana. Think it needs adjusting?

I feel like such a wimp...10s are as much as I can or wish to go...if I went to 12's, I'd pull a groin muscle :dead

Forum Member

I feel like such a noob since this is my first strat and I've only owned it about a week and a half. I really don't want to dink with the truss rod, it plays well with no buzz. I hoping that means everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheapstrat
    I feel like such a wimp...10s are as much as I can or wish to go...if I went to 12's, I'd pull a groin muscle :dead
    Heavy strings are the way to go if you don't bend much. You can really pummel the guitar that way. Fewer tuning issues, too. Have fun bending more than a full step, though ;-). I have no idea how Stevie did it.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

JimmyD - Capo at the first fret, fret at the 17th, and if the gap between E, A, or D string and fret at the 7th fret is between the thickness of a sheet of paper and a business card you are basically ok.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"