Thread: I DID IT!

Gravity Jim

I DID IT!

Thanks to all who encouraged me here... I just finished setting up my all-Warmoth Zencaster... all by myself! And it ROCKS! I get it! I understand how relief works, and I can hear how to "stretch" the intonation... it has NEVER played better! I'm elated.

And I owe to ya'll, for pushing me in the right direction. Man, this is true power!

I know I groused about having to et good at so many things to do my work, but I'm really glad I went for this.

Re: I DID IT!

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together! Good for you man. You'll never go hungry again!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

That's great... its a feeling of independence and freedom. Congratulations.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Now you can save all that money you would normally pay your tech and get yourself another Strat or Tele;)

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Cool. Good on ya. It wasn't so hard after all, was it? No magic here, just common sense and some basic knowledge.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

measure once, cut twice. i mean... oh well you know what i mean. just joshin. but you are missing one thing here, PICS! i sometimes find more enjoyment in building a geetar than playing it. let's see some pics.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

"measure once, cut twice."

That only applies to farting chuck 'o
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I would also like to see a few pics of Jim's collection.. I'm sure the pros have awsome guitars.
    Photoweborama

Gravity Jim

photoweborama... You'd be disappointed in my guitar collection, 'cause most of my money is in recording gear. I have one custom Strat style, one MIA P-Deluxe bass and one outstanding Washburn acoustic. That's it. I had a Tele for a while, and might get another... I borrow a '62 Gretsch Country Gent and a Ric electric 12 once every couple years when I need those specific sounds... but I don't have a bunch of guitars. You can see some pics of my studio gear at www.gravitymusic.com, if you like, though. The 02/R and the twin racks of synths make most visitors drool. :)

Seriously, thanks to all you guys, especially telecast, for the "you can do it" words. You're right, it's just common sense. I also think I understand now why the guy who screwed it up so completely did so. When I took the back plate off, he had redone my 3-string trem in the "all springs to the center" SRV triangle, another indication of what I supposed tobe true... the tech plays way, WAY harder than I do, and with the tall/narow frets on the guitar, he need massive relief to keep it from buzzing.

But this was so far out of spec it was stunning. He had the truss rod backed all the way off... relief was something like .025"! No joke, more than twice Fender spec. I've got it down to .005, and it's as snakier than ever. I've already learned on of the nice things about setting up your own guitars... you can take your time, adjust slowly, let the wood settle in and really get it right.

Since ya asked... here's the amazing Zencaster shortly after it was finished.... it's gotten darker and richer looking as the oil & wax finish has cured over the years.

Well that sounds promising for my recording setup. just a few basic guitars to give me the sounds I need and thats it.

I'm doing it like the pros do! :rofl
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    I also think I understand now why the guy who screwed it up so completely did so...But this was so far out of spec it was stunning. He had the truss rod backed all the way off... relief was something like .025"!
    I can appreciate your giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, but quite frankly the only two explanations for that are stupidity or incompetence. Ok, maybe that's all one explanation.

I'm surprised you were able to get the truss rod that straight without buzzing. What height do you have the strings set at? I'm guessing 4-5/64ths on 1-4?
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

great looking guitar!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Gravity Jim

Thanks, chucko, sir!

telecast: Yes, currently 4/64s at the 17th. I'm thinking I may try a bit more relief and a slightly lower action at the 17th fret just to see how it feels, but there is no buzz with this set up. It's a Warmoth compound radius neck... with the relief where it was, you could wang the living daylgihts out of it and get no fret buzz UNPLUGGED, so I just figured this guy must play like that. i play with a pretty light touch... I have no trouble playing a scalloped board in tune, for example.

But yeah, i tend to agree tha tit was an incompetent act to set relief that high... I think it would have been bad for the neck if not corrected shortly.

Hey if there is no buzz unplugged.. then leave it.. That's the goal I can never meet, not buzz unplugged. I always get a little, but wow, if you are that low without buzz, run with it!!!!
    Photoweborama