Thread: Simplest, Easiest 4 Track?

Simplest, Easiest 4 Track?

Looking for the easiest 4 track recorder to use?
    What do you all use and why?
    Thanks!

Re: Simplest, Easiest 4 Track?

I use Guitar Tracks on the computer. About as simple as a program can get, but hardware wise, digital or tape?

I had a Tascam Port 02. Pretty easy to use, but I really recommend something that can bounce tracks.

The problem with hardware 4 tracks is once you get the basics down, you think of a bunch more things you can do and you run out of tracks really fast. 8 tracks are the minimum to do a basic song, but if you have a 4 track that will bounce, you can free up tracks that way.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I am an old school Teac 4 track Reel to Reel educated user.
    Looking for something smaller, newer and still have the ability to record four tracks, mix down to one or two and then use the open tracks for whatever. Tape or digital? I like the analog route personally.

Take your old school Teac....run the line out into your computer sound card in. It really is that simple. Once you make that connection, you won't be intimidated by the digital thing.
    My foray into digital recording came when I wanted to preserve the stuff I had done earlier on 4 track cassette.

Good Luck
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Dunno if it is exactly easy, but if had stayed focussed on what I bought it for, it would have been :-) Problem is it will do a hell of lot of things! Talking about this gizmo and did it here too.

Quote Originally Posted by mgade
    Dunno if it is exactly easy, but if had stayed focussed on what I bought it for, it would have been :-) Problem is it will do a hell of lot of things! Talking about this gizmo and did it here too.
    Funny, I was checking these out the other day.
    Man it looks like it does everything and more.
    So do you have this thing down and does it work pretty well?
    Thanks!

Yeah, I'd say so. I've got the extra card and a "double mini-jack" that I uses for recording the jams from this site. A little jack into the "out" from the sound card into the "guitar-size" female "Guitar in" (using a small to large converter from a headphone) on the Zoom. There is a general sensitivity knob next to the "guitar in" and the slider too of course. It even doubles at an effect between the guitar and the amp! I havn't got much to compare it against, but it really works as advertised. I COULD wish it could store directly to MP3 though. You have to download an application from their homepage, but it is workable.

Thanks for the info.
    So with this I can record two tracks, mix it down to one and have three available? The info on that site was not clear on that. The drum and Bass thing looks pretty cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by rockntommy
    Thanks for the info.
    So with this I can record two tracks, mix it down to one and have three available?
    Yep. You can record 4 tracks for that matter, pan, eq and mix them and then "bounce" them to a single track and have 3 empty tracks available. Again and again.

Well it sounds like something I can handle without getting too frustrated. I might bug ya later with more questions.
    Thanks for the help.