Thread: sennheiser e 609.

sennheiser e 609.

just wanted to turn you guys onto these things. i bought mine a while ago and have fallen in love with it. very 57 like, but more top end, and a little more detail. now don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna toss my 57s, but i have been using them less. for a $100, well worth the price.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew
    How are you positioning them for best sound? I'm tempted to buy one and keep in my bag for gigs when I don't have a mic stand around.

live, i usually hang them off the top of the amp and then put a little bit of gaff tape on the cable to make sure it doesn't move. i have found that with most combo amps i can run it under the strap and it will be about right position wise, and i don't need to use the tape. in the studio i use a stand. i usually mike straight on about half way between the cone and edge, that usually gets a really good sound.

if there are two guitars in the band i will use the e609 on the "lead" guitar, and a 57 on the "rhythm". has been working really well. like i said though, i'm never gonna give up on my 57s, but the 609 does add a great tonal difference to the mix. you should check them out.

in the studio however i use the stand so we can really fine tune the placement so we don't have to eq later.

i am a live sound engineer, so the experience live has been with other guitar players. in the studio though it has been my playing. both situations it has been doing a great job. in both situations i usually mic straight on, but sometimes i angle it.

Re: sennheiser e 609.

I just bought a couple of them for recording my guitar amp. Haven't had a chance to use them yet. I have heard good things about them though.

Gary

they are also great on toms in the studio. they give a nice attack and sound detailed. try it out if you get the chance.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

i'm planning on getting one soon, just waiting for a check to come in.

ah, the elusive "gearwhore" check. i got one coming on tuesday. then my money will be all spent.