Thread: what do you think of classic strats??

what do you think of classic strats??

hows the build quality?? I have about 500$ and want a strat . I am into the vintage features . What improvements would you do to it to make it sound better???

The MIM Classics are an excellent buy. All you really have to change are the pickups and tremelo system to have a great axe. I've bought 2 of them in the past and they are excellent to mod.

Check the classifieds here, there is an excellent buy on a mim 60's burgandy mist strat with improvements already made. I'd jump on it myself, but I have a cash flow/closet space problem at the moment. I have a mim 60's strat in sunburst & except for the p/u's which are being changed, & some slight roughness of the bridge saddle height screws, is just as nice as a made in America 62 reissue I have. The necks on these 2 feel identical to me.

TFF Stage Crew
    Spose has a great Strat listed here in the classifieds that comes in under you price range and it is American made.

Tim C.

I like the Classic series a lot. I was playing a '50s and a '60s Strat the other day and I really liked the way they played. Now if only you could get that fat 50's profile with a rosewood fretboard...

Forum Member
    You can't go wrong with a 50's reissue with a two tone sunburst finish as the body is made out of alder.I have one and all I changed were the pickups to fat 50's.The neck is awsome with a slight V to it.

Forum Member
    If you want a classic, go for it. I myself bought a MIJ Foto Flame about 7 yrs ago and still have it. I cannot believe how good it sound and how much fun it is to play. And they can be had cheap. I found one from '95 in mint condition, plastic still on guard for $595.
    This was a bittersweet buy for me because it put my Am Std strat to shame - at pretty much half the cost. Hey, if you bought a used foto flame you would probably have enough left over for some nice pickups and a pro setup....
    Not to dis the MIMs but for my $500 I would look for a foto flame or a used MIJ 62 RI or 57 RI.

Classic Strats

I've played some really nice MIM 50's & 60's RI's. Drop in some good pickups (Fralin, Van Zandt etc.) and a Callaham trem block and you're in buisness.

Just a thought, but I just had a look at those new American Strats they just brought out. They're called the U.S. Special Highway #1. Vintage style bridge and pups, but with the modern tuners and neck so you get the flatter radius and med. jumbo frets for bending. It was impressive to look at, the one I saw had a maple board, but I think you can get them in either maple or rosewood. Alder body. Sorry, but I didn't have time today to plug in and give it a go. Might be worth a look as the price is going to be in that general $500-600 or so range, and you get a genuine American Strat out of the deal.

I like 'em but.........

By the time you change the pups, switch, tremelo/bridge and buy a hard shell case, you coulda had an american vintage reissue..........

If it's budget thing, you might want to look for one on ebay - the place is lousy with them! Just look for somebody with lots of excellent feedback...:tw59
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

Forum Member
    The pups on the Classic series sound pretty good. Everyone seems to be into modding everything-these guitars are sweet as is. So are the MIJ reissues-even though their pups get a bad rap. Personally, I think the MIM Classics have better electronics and pups than the MIJs.

There is also the alder/basswood issue-which I won't even get into.

AND, the MIJ reissues made for the Japanese market are killer-you get the alder body, texas special pups (or other custom shop pups), and a steel block. What more can you ask for?