Thread: bonefish demo update

bonefish demo update

well, we put in a pretty solid eight hours today, got pretty good takes on seven original songs (pretty good meaning passable for this demo, i'd never consider them releasable, and i have my doubts about even posting them-we'll see how the mix treats us). anyways, we took a break, had some dinner, and came back to mix. got a pretty decent mix, sent it from the ADAT to a phillips CD burner, and it sounded like somebody poured rice crispies in the cans. we have no idea where all that snap crackle pop is coming from. can't hear it playing back the DAT, but play back the CD and it snaps loud enough to spike the meters on the board. engineer dude thinks the head needs de-magnetized.

you fellers got any ideas?

oh yeah, the new mic (mca sp1) is beutifull. if that's what a $45 condenser sounds like i can't imagine what a $600 one would do.

Re: bonefish demo update

did you connect the adat and cd burner digitally? cause if so, and they weren't clocked the same (sample rate and bit depth) that could cause you're pop and clicks. try hooking it up analog. just a thought...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

not sure, chuck. i'll bring that up tomorrow (well, today if you wanna get technical). the guy that was engineering (drummers brother) said he had the same problem the last time he tried it, but wrote it off as an old tape. appearantly not! anyways, thanks for the advice.

p.s. isn't it a great feeling to spend all day working on something only to have it crap out in the final step?

yeah or spending all day polishing a turd. which is what i did friday. i had to master and then put on cd a horrible recording. whoever did it totally screwed it up. but it had to be put on cd anyways so the other students at my school could listen to the concert. so i put a disclaimer on it. "chuck did not screw up this cd, you can thank someone else for that." :hee

yeah so just check and see whether he is hooking it up digital or analog. cause if it sounds fine on the dat or adat (i have forgotten by now) but not on the cd. it sounds to me like they aren't synched.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

fezz parka

Check the stuff that Chuck mentioned. It's good advice.:yay

If you are coming analog out of the ADAT, you could be sending a +4db signal to the CD burner. The line inputs on standalone CD burner usually want to see a -10db line level signal. Check this out, because this could cause the spikes you're getting.

thanks, guys, i will look into both those items this evening. i gotta hunch it's one or the other.

well, bill (the engineer) decided to get drastic-he traded up his phillips cd burner for a sony. i don't know what the original issue was, but it solved the problem. we (actually, Bill and Tom (drummer) mixed it down this afternoon (i had to mow my pasture). i must say, i was pleasantly suprised. bill's a drummer, so he has a tendency to mix drums and bass REALLY hot, and sort of gloss over guitars, but he done right by us. (to the extent that you could hear them, and they didn't sound entirely crappy-guitar tone is a whole 'nother issue, and me and shane decided this wasn't the project to worry about it on). my other concern was bill just bought a new lexicon reverb, and i was afraid he was gonna go mad w/ the effects, but he kept it pretty dry, just added a few nice touches here and there. if'n i had a way to post the tracks i would, but my 'puter is a POS, and i'm not even sure how to do it anyways.