Thread: "New" Bassman

Forum Member

"New" Bassman

Hello forum. First post. -Has anyone tried out the new BassmanLTD yet? Tube rectifier- laquered tweed,(like THAT'S important) PCB as opposed to PTP- some feedback? Can't seem to find on in my neck of the woods- (S.E. Michigan) even GC is a nogo. Anyone try it out and is it louder than heck? It sounds nice- perhaps a tad nicer that the Bassman RI that's currently out there. Anyone?

Forum Member

Re: "New" Bassman

Well, the new one is still PCB. However, the pine cab and tube rectifier are worth the extra dough.

Bassmans are LOUD. There is no way around it.

Forum Member

Any all-tube 45W amp with 4 10" speakers are going to be LOUD. Don't expect to get any breakup at sane volume levels. However, with the pine cab and tube rectifiers, I'd bet it sounds awesome. Maybe not quite like a Victoria 45410 or a Clark copy, but great nontheless. I saw one at a local music store (In Louisville, KY) and the workmanship looks spectacular. If it sounds as good as it looks, you're in like a dirty shirt. (I don't know what that means, either. I just heard it on dumb and dumber)

Forum Member

BTW, you'd better check into the Indroductions forum before Tele-Bob makes you! It's ritual for him to dogpile on the newbies.

I have an 03 RI 59' Bassman and it sounds wonderful. I run it with a 5AR4 or the SS recitifier. I also have a 12AY7 in the first pre-amp slot. I laquered it also which as I expected didn't do a thing to its sound.

I'm sure the pine cab is nice, but I'd be hard pressed to believe you could hear the difference between my 59' RI and the new 59 LTD version. I'm not sure I'd want the additional weight that Pine cabinet adds.....its a pretty heavy beast as it is.

Anyhow, its a very loud, great sounding amp. With an AX7 in the first pre-amp position you can get some breakup at 3, which is pretty loud. Jumping the different input positions can give you a nice pallate of tones as well. The jumping also changes the breakup characteristics of the amp somewhat.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. Hey shoudek--I see you're in Canton, MI. I'm in Pinckney, MI. about 30 miles NW of you. I found (and bought) the Bassman LTD at the guitar show this weekend. Jeeeezus, it's LOUD. But sweet. It has AX's in all three positions- any input for getting the most break-up at the lowest possible volume? Perhaps when it "breaks-in" it'll settle down a bit. I don't find it all that heavy with the pine cab- perhaps I'm just still exited about it. Does running the AY in the first slot help with the volume issue?

Old Tele man

FWIW -- my SF/SR with 40W is plenty loud! In fact, for 'normal' gigging it sits at 3 or 4 and has never been above 5 in all the years I've owned it (since 9/70)!

Forum Member

Running an AY will bring it down, but not enough to make that much of a diff if your jumpering the channels, which you have to do tomake them sound gooood!! The tone jumpered is way fatter, nicer ! But a friggin` loud amp!! Thats why Marshall copied probably.

CT.

Yeah, what CocoTone said. The AY will make more of a difference in where it breaks up.....It keeps the amp cleaner further up the volume scale. I think it also smooths the amp out a bit. Mine could be somewhat harsh with the AX in position 1. Not bad, but much better with the AY in my humble opinion.

Note sure of a good way to lower the volume on the amp other than to use an attenuator. I've not tried one before, but I have seriously considered it on several occasions. I also have a real '57 Vibrolux that is only 10 watts which I use most often around the house. I only lug the Bassman around when I'm playing with others as the Vibrolux has difficulty keeping up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoudek
    Yeah, what CocoTone said. The AY will make more of a difference in where it breaks up.....It keeps the amp cleaner further up the volume scale. I think it also smooths the amp out a bit. Mine could be somewhat harsh with the AX in position 1. Not bad, but much better with the AY in my humble opinion.

Note sure of a good way to lower the volume on the amp other than to use an attenuator. I've not tried one before, but I have seriously considered it on several occasions. I also have a real '57 Vibrolux that is only 10 watts which I use most often around the house. I only lug the Bassman around when I'm playing with others as the Vibrolux has difficulty keeping up.
    I tried a Bassman with an attenuator,,think it was a powersoak, didn`t like the result. It took away that` tweedy` ness.

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesy
    Hello forum. First post. -Has anyone tried out the new BassmanLTD yet? Tube rectifier- laquered tweed,(like THAT'S important) PCB as opposed to PTP- some feedback? Can't seem to find on in my neck of the woods- (S.E. Michigan) even GC is a nogo. Anyone try it out and is it louder than heck? It sounds nice- perhaps a tad nicer that the Bassman RI that's currently out there. Anyone?
    Well, I saw Paul Huber--of Huber and Breese Music, in Fraser, over the weekend, and he had one of the new ones in stock. Very handsome. Loud as fury!

Shoot me an email, and I'll send you his phone number. That guy will hook your shit up, no question!

Forum Member

Yeah, junoirspecial- no need for a phone number-the Bassman that Huber&Breese had at the guitar show this past weekend is the one that I bought. You must be in the MI area, no? I'm in Pinckney (bet. Brighton & Ann Arbor) Yeah- that sucker is loud! But in a nice way. Some type of attenuator may be in order.

FWIW THEM ARE GREAT NEW AMPS OF OLD STYLES
    EVEN THOUGH THEY USE PC BOARDS
    ITS OK
    AS A MATTER A FACT LOTS OF AMP PARTS CIRCUIT BOARD BUILDERS IN THE HOFFMAN SITE USE PCB BOARDS
    JUST THINKIN THEY ARE GREAT SOUNDIN AMPS I LIKE THEM AND TRIED OUT A FEW I GOT A PCB BOARD MODEL I LOVE THEN I POSTED IN HERE QUITE SOME TIME AGO
    HOW AMPEG USED PC BOARDS IN THEIR AMPS I GOT A OLDER AMPEG BASSMAN 3X10 TYPE IT IS SWEET ITS ALL TUBE AND ITS A MONSTER LOUD TONE AMP GREAT FOR MANY STYLES
    IT LOOKS VERY CLOSE IN SIZE AND COLOR AND PINE CABINET TO A OL 59 BASSMAN CABINET ON THE OUTSIDE BUT ALL THEM TUBE SOCKETS ARE SOLDERED DIRECTLY TO THE PC BOARD
    ALL IM SAYIN IS THEM NEW STYLE BASSMANS RI ARE WORTNERFUL AMPS IMOP ITS NICE TECHNOLOGY WISE
    AS FOR WOODS WELL SOME CABS ARE MADE OUT OF PINER SOME ARENT
    BUT I PLAYED THRU SOME WITHOUT PINE THAT SOUNDED REAL NICE

YES MARSHALL DID KNO FENDER HAD SOMETHIN GOOD WHEN THEY GOT HOLD OF A BASSMAN THAS A FACT
    BUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO IS THERE IN ENGLISH ITS IRRELEVANT
    I KNO MARSHALLS SOUND LIKE MARSHALLS BECAUSE OF THEIR TRANSFORMERS AND TUBES AND CAPACITORS
    STILL THE VERY ORIG MARSHALLS YEA CIRCUIT WISE WERE SO CLOSE
    BUT A MAJOR PART OF THA BRITISH SOUND WAS THEM BRITISH SPKRS THEM TUBES AND TRANNIES
    AS THEM PARTS WERE MADE OVER IN ENGLAND

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT SHUMACHER MADE TRANNIES FOR BASSMANS HERE
    THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO YEA MARSHALL COPIED A GREAT AMP ALSO LATER ON AS THA CIRCUIT MARSHALL PARK NARB USED IN THENM JTM45 HEADS WELL WHA REALLY SET MARSHALLS SOUND APART ASIDE FROM THE CLOSED BACK CABS WAS THE BRITISH SPKRS AND THEIR ENGLISH TRANNIES AND TUBES
    FENDERS HAD OPEN BACK CABS MARSHALLS USED CLOSED BACK CABS THE SOUND IS TIGHTER IN A CLOSED BACK CAB

TO ME FENDERS AND MARSHALLS I LOVE

BOTH AMPS ARE GREAT AND VICTORIA KENDRICK AND SO MANY OTHERS MAKE GREAT BASSMAN RE ISSUES

FENDER I LIKE THE REAL DEAL NEW FENDERS
    AS I ALWAYS WAS A FENDER HEAD BY HEART
    EVEN IF PC BOARDS ARE USED ITS FINE
    ITS JUST ONE LESS PIECE OF JUMPER WIRE OR SO

THAS ALL BUT CIRCUIT WISE THEY ARE STILL TRUE TO THE ORIGINALS AS BEST THEY CAN AND IM SURE REALLY IF FENDER WANTED TO HAND WIRE TOTALLY 100% A BOARD AND AMP LIKE OLD DAYS THEY WILL SOON OR CAN
    BUT CIRCUIT BOARDS ARE TOTALLY FINE
    THEM NEW ONES ARE KILLER SOUNDIN

SOME DONT LIKE THE STOCK SPKRS BUT WEBERS REPLACEMENTS ARE KILLER IN THEM AMPS ITS UP TIO YOUR EARS TUBES RECTIFIERS AND SPKRS WISE
    EVERYONE HAS A TONE THEY LOVE
    JUMPIN CHANNELS IS MY FAV WAY ITS EASY AND IT YIELDS GREAT RESULTS

IF YOU DUDES GOT A NEW BASSMAN RI
    CONGRATS AND ENJOY

ANY BASSMAN STYLE AMP IN THE VINTAGE ISH REALM I LOVE AMPEG MADE A KILLER ONE THA LOOKS SIMILAR
    LIKE I SAID I LIKE VICTORIAS AND KENDRICKS HE MAKES THE BEST SOUNDIN SPEAKERS IN MY OPINION TOTALLY BY HAND JUST TIGHT GOOD SOUNDIN AND NO FLUB
    BOUTIQUE /OR REAL DEAL AMPS OR RE ISSUES TECHNOLOGY WISE THA OL BASSMAN WAS A TIMELESS CLASSIC....

CRATE MAKES A LITTLE SMALLER VINTAGE 50 MODEL THAT USES 4 EL84'S BALLSY MOTHER REALLY ITS NICE SOMEWHAT A VOX ISH BRITISH CIRCUIT BUT MY FRIEND HAS ONE IT SINGS SWEET
    GOOD AMPS
    I LIKE 10 INCH SPEAKERS ALSO
    I THINK IMOP THA WAS A GREAT FEATURE OF OLD FENDER BASSMANS THAT IS ONE OF MY LOVE FOR THEM WAS OK THEY ARE LOUD AMPS BUT REALLY THEY HAVE A SPIRIT A SOUND LIKE HEAVEN
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS