Thread: Possible to get that Jack Bruce tone out of a Fender Bass?

Forum Member

Possible to get that Jack Bruce tone out of a Fender Bass?

Never crazy about the EB-3's.

Can a Fender Bass tune in a Jack Bruce tone?

Forum Member
    70's Tele bass with the big honkin humbucker at the end of the neck might get you in the ballpark...

But it's different woods and construction, so that will weigh in the equation....

but that is where I would start. That, or a yamaha Billy Sheehan model.

"Fresh Cream" (and parts of "Disraeli Gears") was recorded using a Fender Bass VI.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Forum Member
    I don't think the Fender Bass VI was used on Disraeli Gears, but he did use a Danelectro Longhorn on much of it. At any rate, a lot of his best known stuff was not recorded on an EB-3.

Jack boosted the low-mids/mids and deliberately used his Marshalls to distort the tone. No matter what gear you have, you can get close with a frowny-face EQ and some distortion.

Hey Dave!

Wasn't the Dano on most of Wheels of Fire as well?

I'd like to have an ambitious band and do 'Deserted Cities of the Heart' or whatever that one is. That song rules.

I guess you'd be the best person to ask, Dave...
    Did Felix (Papalairdi) actually use the EB-0 and EB-1 on the Mountain stuff? If so, there actually are a lot of similarities with that bass sound...

Aggie,

As far as getting the Jack Bruce sound, I guess you could roll off your treble and slam your preamp as hard as you can.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    davey,

The Dano was used on White Room, the rest of Wheels was an EB-3, according to Graeme Pattingale. http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/basses.htm

I think Felix used an EB-1 and EB-0 on just about everything. I haven't really delved into it, though. There is an excellent site at http:www.pappalardi.com with some rare old pics and articles, I just have to dig into it sometime.

Funny you should mention Felix, though. The drummer and I were listening to Mountain earlier tonight.

i think that with any combo you can get close to your desired tone. but never really nail it. it is all about knowing your gear (turn those knobs and see what comes out), and being able to access those tones. have fun man. i love the bass tone on disareali gear! i guess i'm gonna have to listen to that tomorrow.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Attempted Thread Hijack

Hey Dave,

I love that bit Felix does in Never In My Life during the verse, that ascending thing. Felix was bad ass.

Don't Look Around. Scary ass song. Right when it goes into the solo section and it actually sounds like Jack Bruce playing at that point- whoo!
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Re: Possible to get that Jack Bruce tone out of a Fender Bass?

I haven't thought about this in years, but your question jogged an ancient memory. . .

A long time ago (late 70's?), a friend and I were in a popular music store in Philadelphia. Their repairman was in the back, routing a Jazz bass to install a DiMarzio EB-3 replacement pickup in it.

We were talking to Benny, the owner of the store, probably trying to work some great deal on something we couldn't afford. Suddenly, Benny yelled something like, "Aaauugh!", and ran away from us. Slightly puzzling behavior, until we saw him come running back through the store carrying a flaming Jazz bass. He slapped at the flames, but only succeeded in getting hot melted plastic on his hand. Finally, he and the repairman wrestled the JB out the front door onto the sidewalk, and somehow extinguished the flames.

To save some time, the idiot repairmen had decided to route the hole with the pickguard in place. The pickguard, of course, burst into flames from the heat of the high-speed router.

Once we were sure Benny was OK, we found the whole episode to be hilarious. I'm sure Benny thought otherwise, since he had to tell the owner they'd burned up his bass.

I hope your quest for Jack Bruce tone out of a Fender bass goes better than this.

Re: Possible to get that Jack Bruce tone out of a Fender Bass?

:hee :hee :hee
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"