Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Keith Richard Sound

Forum Member

Re: That Keith Richard Sound

Hello Kap'n---
    The Freshman had only one pickup [neck]. I'm not quite sure that the one Richard used was officially called a "Bluesbird", but it was a two-pickup model.
    Forgot about Gibson Firebird 7, too!
    Brian.

Forum Member

Again----
    Remember the Gibson amp period??? Medalist, Titans...........
    They used some of these for recording, too. This was the same period as the "Firebird" years.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by brianwenz
    Hello Kap'n---
    The Freshman had only one pickup [neck]. I'm not quite sure that the one Richard used was officially called a "Bluesbird", but it was a two-pickup model.
    A note from the guy who wrote the Guild Book. I hate to reference the site, but...

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.htm...4590&offset=30
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Hello Hello-
    Ah Haa!! That explains it.......another do-it-yerself guitar mod that's muckin' up the works.
    I had one of those Guild X-350 hollow bodies [3- pickups... the "Bee Gees' model...] for quite awhile. [Pretty good blues-and-swing guitar].
    Thanks--
    Brian.

Forum Member

Keith used different Vox amps a lot too.
    First AC30:s, then AC50:s, 7-series, Supreme.. and a Triumph amp around the time of Beggars Banquet/Let it bleed. At the Hyde Park gig he played through (borrowed) Hiwatt amps, and he got a NICE tone with 'em!

Forum Member

>>>>>
    Sunburst with Bigsby
    >>>

Of course there's been a fair amount of Bursts he used. A 59 with bigsby, currently on sale through Sotheby's (it didn't reach the asking price), and a flamed all original '59 on the 1972 tour plus a '55 goldtop on the 1975 tour. He and Taylor had at least four different LP's, but its quite hard to say how many exactly as they kept changing parts. Taylor played one with Kluson tuners, than one with Schallers, pickguard on and off etc. You can distinguish at least two by the stripe pattern, but than on the Winter Tour 1973 suddenly a dark burst shows up.

>>
    ES-335
    >>

It's quite rare to see keith with a 335. He played an ebony 355 on the 1969 and 1970 tour for at least Little Queenie and Midnight Rambler and he used it extensively for Exile recordings. he used a 330 for Beggars and Let it Bleed as well as the yde park gig. The only foto's I have of Keith with a 335 is a radio gig he did with Dave Edmunds' Rockpile gig (with Keith completely drugged out). These days he uses a 1959 and a 1960 355 for standard tuning.

>>
    Custom-made L5-S with only a bridge pickup
    >>

He used a black one for the 1988 Wino's tour, but it actually belongs to Ron Wood, who used it on the 1989 Stones tour and for session work.

>>
    A pair of custom made guitars from a boutique guy, whos name escapes me
    >>

He played a five string Ted Newman Jones on the 1973 tours, a 5-string Zemaitis on the 1975, 1976 and 1978 tour (first part), and a ted Newman Jones five string on the 1979 New Barbarians Tour.

Mathijs

Quote Originally Posted by Mathijs
    >>
    A pair of custom made guitars from a boutique guy, whos name escapes me
    >>

He played a five string Ted Newman Jones on the 1973 tours, a 5-string Zemaitis on the 1975, 1976 and 1978 tour (first part), and a ted Newman Jones five string on the 1979 New Barbarians Tour.

Mathijs
    It was a different guy. He appeared on the cover of GP in the 80's with a outstanding quilt top custom, and he also had a black one. I don't remember the guys name.
    orange picks

a tweed champ does a convincing Keef/Stones tone at a decent non-ear-bleeding volume if you are just playing at home.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

>>
    It was a different guy. He appeared on the cover of GP in the 80's with a outstanding quilt top custom, and he also had a black one. I don't remember the guys name.
    >>

You're correct, I have some pics of keith with two custom made guitars in the early 80's. One LP Junior Single Cutaway style guitar with some skulls and moons, and another one that resembles a Melody Maker a bit. I don't know the name of the maker! However, these guitars were used for photo shoots and hotel room sessions, and were never used live.

Mathijs

Forum Member

You don't have to use open G tuning to nail Keef. Here's how to do it in standard tuning...for example, the C to F move in Start Me Up:

8x555x 8x756x

Use your pinky to grab the low C, barre with index, hammer with middle and ring.
    This works for Brown Sugar, Soul Survivor, Tumbling Dice, etc. A slight variation works for Monkey Man, Honky Tonk Woman.
    Your intonation must be accurate or it'll sound sound sour (too sour even for Keef).
    This is especially useful in situations where there's no second guitar. One player can get the rhythm and the fills/leads quite easily.

However, 'old Keef isn't above sounding sour every now and again, especially live. He did three songs back to back to back, out of tune, a number of years ago when I saw him. The guitar tech brought him a different tele, and he looked confused as to why. In Keef's world intonation is not always king, Jack Daniels is.

Forum Member

Tonefreak, good point...but Keef can get away with it, I'm afraid us regular lugs don't have it so easy.

Yeah, I know. Playing in tune and sober and straight sucks doesn't it? :)

I`m also a lead guitarist in similar band BITCH :) i know your posts from IORR...There`s one your fault - 1989 - Fender Bassman , not tweed
    regards Jan

On the 1989 Steel Wheels tour, he used a lot of nylon string electric guitars. They were solid bodies, and sort of shaped like Teles (but much fancier). But they had nylon strings and piezo pickups.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by janek
    I`m also a lead guitarist in similar band BITCH :) i know your posts from IORR...There`s one your fault - 1989 - Fender Bassman , not tweed
    regards Jan
    Who are you talking to? This thread was 9 months old.

Gravity Jim

wtf more like almost two YEARS old but always great for to resurrect with a post that make no sense
    regards jim

TFF Stage Crew

:lol You're right. I should have said it was 9 months dormant!

Seems like there's been a lot of old thread dredging lately.

I'm gonna' do a search. I'll bet I can find something I disagree with.

Nahh...

BEYATCH!
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

fezz parka

If you haven't seen it, it's new to you!

Gravity Jim

Not to split hairs, pc, but check it out, my man... last post was Jan 2004... it's almost Jan 2006! Two years dead....

TFF Stage Crew

Er... no. Post #54 happened on 3/21/05. The thread started in March of '04 Then, about 30 posts later, someone ressurected it (the first time) in March of 2005. :)

Gravity Jim

Duh. I have to learn to read these things mo' better. I was reading the posters JOIN date.

And that's why I'm not a moderator. :)

TFF Stage Crew

:lol Holy crap Jim, you posted this in September of 2003! ;)

Don't feel bad. At Halloween time I changed my title to "9 Circles Moderator" because of my Inferno avatar. When I went to change it back, I realized that I can't figure out how to make it say:

TFF Stage Crew

like it used to (and the other guys' still do). It refuses to allow me two lines like I used to have. That's what I get for messing with it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    TFF Stage Crew
    I was on Stage Crew in high school.

Stage Crew built a room inside one of the ventillation ducts above the auditorium. So you could smoke dope in there, and the smoke would automatically be vented outside. They had a couch in there and everything.

The highlight of our days would be letting the Video Crew [:hurl] plug their stuff into an outlet we had put on a dimmer, and we'd screw with their voltage.

Video Crew got more funding than we did.

What was the thread about again?
    orange picks

Forum Member

"A pair of custom made guitars from a boutique guy, whos name escapes me
    "

Joesph Jesselli of Huntington, NY

Okay, most of the thread I understood, but janek and Pspanker have thrown me a curve. Who the heck are they talking to?
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Quote Originally Posted by 95strat
    Okay, most of the thread I understood, but janek and Pspanker have thrown me a curve. Who the heck are they talking to?
    Plankspanker was referring to my previous note about Keith's custom pair of guitars that appeared on a late 80's Guitar Player cover and article.
    orange picks

Jesselli's work for Richards is also featured in Guitar World, March, 1986, where you see a double page photo of a really wild & beautiful hollowbody. The work looks stellar. Interesting to see Richards take on supporting luthiers in general and his opinion of Jesselli in particular.

Tenebrae

Does anyone have a high rez scan of the Jesselli guitar in Guitar World? I used to have the issue but no longer. I remember it had LOT's of endangered stuff on it, real Ivory binding etc. I don't think I've ever seen a shot of him playing it.

I'm doing a stones cover night Christmas eve at a large local club here in San Diego so I stumbled into this thread.

About the 5 string thing... I like to keep my 6th on there, but I tune it down to "D" so if I hit it, it works well with the song.

Agreed, but Keith takes it off.

I think he also flips his neck pup toward the bridge...not sure if anyone mentioned that.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

So I've been look at the MIJ tele's. I like the TL52-80SPL which was mentioned above as the Keith copy. I like the idea of the HB in the neck position, but the "oval shaped neck" doesn't sound appealing. I'm use to the modern C-shape.

Does anyone have an TL52-80SPL? Just wanted to know what the neck was like in more detail.

http://translate.google.com/translat...004-14,GGLD:en
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Quote Originally Posted by John Catto
    Does anyone have a high rez scan of the Jesselli guitar in Guitar World? I used to have the issue but no longer. I remember it had LOT's of endangered stuff on it, real Ivory binding etc. I don't think I've ever seen a shot of him playing it.
    I have the issue but, no scanner, unfortunately. If I can get it scanned, I'll let you know if you like and email the scan to you.

For those interested ~ John mentioned the "LOTs of endangered stuff":

Keith's 1983 Jesselli Hollowbody:

Gilded & antiqued carved heapiece with gold plated Schallers

Stepped African Ivory binding on neck

Ebony board

Ivory Nut, Ivory Inlays, Ivory Endpiece

Custom made Bronze frets (a self lubricating material that burnishes up with use)

3 Custom Made Seymour Duncan pickups, single coil neck and bridge, stacked in the middle position

Voloume & Tone controls are Jade with Ivory crowns resting on Ebony base

Ivory 3-way toggle switch contolling front and back pickups augmented by volime control push/pull that dials in the middle pickup

Tone control custom made by R.A Gresco , featuring a limited-capacitance system.

Fit and Finish is astonishing judging by the drool inducing photograph!

Tenebrae

Ok, that's enough posts. Let the thread sink and we can dig it up in 9 or 10 months.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.