Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had a gig to do that you just didn't want to do?

Have you ever had a gig to do that you just didn't want to do?

I've got one coming up this Saturday and I'm not looking forward to it.

It's a party of some sort. I'm just hoping to get in and out alive.

It's for a bunch of school teachers.

My worst times have been Wedding receptions, what a pain in the ass, Some woman always drunk,, will always asks if we know any Allan Jackson
    or green, green grass of home,, Or Porter Wanger, or Hank Williams Sr. Seems like there are always fights, I dont do receptions anymore.
    Last edited by Ugly Mike; 03-17-2004 at 11:51 PM.
    Truth, Justice, And The American Way

HEY as a kid I once gigged a bunch of schoolteachers. Those were fun! Cheer up, they'll want you to play rock'n'roll, while they do the Limbo Rock How Low Can You Go (without gettin wet on your back with the beer on the floor)

'Cuz, that was back around ´78....

Have you ever had a gig to do that you just didn't want to do?

Isn't that kind of like asking the working stiffs if they ever hate to get up on Monday morning?

Bad gigs are like hauling equipment, it's just part of the crap we put up with to experience those wonderous moments when everything clicks.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Forum Member
    Yep. Toward thhe end of the Wiley Post Band, I dreaded them all, because the ASSHOLE lead singer I'd been propping up for four FUCKING years just got worse and worse.

Note to self: never EVER get involved with musicians who are undergoing a religious conversion. if they're already there, maybe, but if they're in the throes of religious mania (AND too stupid to realize they're being led around by thhe dick at the same time) STAY AWAY!

he he he he he eh he he eh eh heh.........

ha ha a ah;; a;ha ha;a

you said "dick"

snicker snicker

My reason

It's not REALLY the gig itself but who I'm playing with.

The drummer was once with me in a trio...that I broke up because it just didn't work with him.
    The bass player is a part-time actor who I've never played with before, who thinks all bass lines should be just full, really full with lots of miscellaneous notes and leaps and bounds.

It's a one time deal that I agreed to mostly out of sympathy for the drummers situation.
    We've had only two rehearsals, and although I'm accustomed to short prep time, this just does not feel right....and doesn't sound good to my ear.

They are oblivious to what I feel is obvious.

Hopefully, all these teachers WILL GET PLASTERED....because as it's been said, "The more you drink, the better we sound".

Yea my band has one coming up at Uglys in Sacramento that 3 members have voted no to do . So it looks like we won't have to do it now.

First clue was CABobcats warning about the place, second was that people we know in the area never heard of the place and the club isn't listed in the local rags.

Plus we were to book the full night entertainment and being from out of town this just seems riduculous! We were given a website address for NoCA bands by the club to help us out. It seems seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Re: My reason

Originally posted by FenderBoy
    It's not REALLY the gig itself but who I'm playing with.

The drummer was once with me in a trio...that I broke up because it just didn't work with him.
    The bass player is a part-time actor who I've never played with before, who thinks all bass lines should be just full, really full with lots of miscellaneous notes and leaps and bounds.

It's a one time deal that I agreed to mostly out of sympathy for the drummers situation.
    We've had only two rehearsals, and although I'm accustomed to short prep time, this just does not feel right....and doesn't sound good to my ear.

They are oblivious to what I feel is obvious.

Hopefully, all these teachers WILL GET PLASTERED....because as it's been said, "The more you drink, the better we sound".
    Ok, you got me. I was just trying to encourage you before. I'm not proud of this, but I had a gig I didn't go to once. Kind of the same circumstances you're facing.

I should have gone and done the gig to the best of my ability.
    Even if I didn't enjoy it, I would have forgotten it long ago.
    Not doing something you've commited to leaves a taste that doesn't go away.

I'm bettin' if you go , you'll have a good time.
    I'm hoping if you go, you'll have business cards to pass out to all of those folks you'll meet who might want to hire you for another venue. Maybe with the folks you're playing with this time, maybe not.

Thing is, you knew going in you and the drummer didn't click.
    What made you take the gig? Is it really just sympathy for the drummer? If so, fuck you. None of us like'em, but gigs suck without 'em. You deserve what you're facing, and we expect you to do the gig and tell us how it went.:) :)

WOW, moonpie...

__________________________________________________ __________
    QUOTE:
    Ok, you got me. I was just trying to encourage you before. I'm not proud of this, but I had a gig I didn't go to once. Kind of the same circumstances you're facing.

I should have gone and done the gig to the best of my ability.
    Even if I didn't enjoy it, I would have forgotten it long ago.
    Not doing something you've commited to leaves a taste that doesn't go away.

I'm bettin' if you go , you'll have a good time.
    I'm hoping if you go, you'll have business cards to pass out to all of those folks you'll meet who might want to hire you for another venue. Maybe with the folks you're playing with this time, maybe not.

Thing is, you knew going in you and the drummer didn't click.
    What made you take the gig? Is it really just sympathy for the drummer? If so, fuck you. None of us like'em, but gigs suck without 'em. You deserve what you're facing, and we expect you to do the gig and tell us how it went.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

From symapthy to insult in one short thread.
    A new record.

Thanks for the idea about bringing my own cards to this gig.

I know it'll be OK...I'm just not excited about it.
    Oh and, BTW...fuck you too.

GIGS PROBLEMS FENDERBOY

TOTALLY AM GOIN THRU YOUR DELIMNA RIGHT NOWW AS WE SPEAK
    I JUST TOTALLY IGNORE WHO I DONT LIKE REALLY MENTALLY ONSTAGE OFF STAGE TRUST ME
    IN MY OPINION AS A GIGER
    I AM THERE HIRED TO PLAY TO MY BEST ABILITYS
    SO I DO MY JOB MAKE THE MONEY AS MUCH AS I DONT GET ALONG WITH 2 MEMBERS REALLY THEN LEAVE NO HARD FEELINS IM THINKIN OK ONE MOR GIG UNDER THE BELT
    TO ME I TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD AND THE UGLY
    YUP

FOR ME ITS SURVIVAL OF THE FITTIST
    I GOT A FEW MUSICIANS I REGRET GETTIN ONSTAGE WITH BECAUSE OF EGO'S ETC THA ARE SOO BIG A HOT AIR BALLOON ISNT BIG ENOUGH TO FILL WITTH THEIR EGOTISTICAL MADNESS
    MY BIG BROTHER KILLER MUSICIAN MY RIGHT ARM GROG(DUANE) KNOS WHA /WHO I MEAN
    HIM/ME JUST GO WITH THE FLOW
    FENDERBOY I SIDE WITH YOU TOTALLY
    MY LAST GIG WASNT MY FAVORITE CLUB FOR ME PERSONALLY I CANT STAND THE OWNER HE IS LIKE A HEMROID JUST ANNOYIN NEVER HAPPY
    I DONT THINK IF JULIUS CEASER WAS THERE HE COULD BE HAPPY CONRAD THE CLUB OWNER IS WHA I CALL A ASSHOLE

SO ME I JUST LISTEN TO HIS HELIUM HOT AIR ALSO ALONG WITH MY 2 OTHER EGO HEADS BANDMEMBERS FOR A MINUTE OR SO

LOOK PROFESSIONAL
    THEN DUANE/ME JUST PLAY OUR WAY I LISTEN TO WHA CONRAD SAYS HE OWNS THE CLUB THEN I FORGET HIM LIKE HE NEVER EXISTED

THEN I CLOSE MY EYES AND FORGET WHA HE SAID OR ELSE IT EATS ME UP THEN I AINT ME

FENDERBOY MUSICIANS WISE YEA IM WITH YA I KNO THA FEELIN
    ITS LIKE A ULCER

SO I KNO ITS LIKE HEY IN MY MIND HEY LOU SCREW THEM IM A PROFESSIONAL IM GETTIN PAID TO PLAY FOR THE CROWD
    SO I JUST LOOK AT THE SET LIST CLOSE MY EYES TOTALLY
    AND GO FOR THE GUSTO

TONEFULLY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

THEM ATTITUDES ARE BASICALLY EASY FOR ME TO IGNOR ONCE THE HOT AIR IS EXPELLED OR THE SHITTY PLAYIN IS DONE ETC FROM WHO EVER

THE DRUMMER EITHER PLAYS IN THE BAND WAAAAY TOO FAST ORRR WAAAYY TOO SLOW ALL THE TIME DRIVES ME BATTY BUT HEY WERE ONLY HUMAN SO TO ME I JUST GO WITH THE FLOW

THE LEAD SINGER BASSIST HE IS OK
    BUT HE STABBED ME IN THE BACK MANY TIMES IN THE PAST TOO MANY JUST SNEAKY REALLY
    ME I JUST LEARN TO FORGIVE AND FORGET CAUSE TO ME IN 3 HRS I GET PAID

I JUST FORGET THEM AS ONLY MOMENTS OF TIME
    EVEN THOUGH I DONT TRUST HIM
    BUT I OVER LOOK THE PROBLEMS
    IM TRYIN HARD NOW TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE
    IN REALITY
    NO ONE IS PERFECT I KNO I AINT

CAUSE OF CONRAD THE CLUB OWNER MY WEEKEND WAS SHITTY MENTALLY TILL I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND IGNORED HIS NEGATIVITY
    IN THE LONG RUN CAUSE I FORGOT ABOUT CONRAD I HAD A BLAST USIN MY NEW HOMEMADE NUBBOCASTER

SO REALLY I IGNORED CONRAD AFTER THE METHANE/SULFER EXPELLED

CONRAD IS AS NEGATIVE AS NEGATIVE COMES HONESTLY
    JUST CHEWS YOU DOWN HE IS PLAIN RUDE I COULD CARE LESS MORE TO PLAY AT THE CLUB BUT IN TOWN HERE IT IS THE BOMB REAL RITZY

SO HEY I LISTEN TO HIS (METHANE) SULFER
    FOR 1-2 MINUTES
    AND IGNORE THE SMELL (SULFER SMELLS )

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
    JUST BE YOU ENJOY YOUR PLAYING AS BEST YOU CAN
    AND TRY TO HAVE FUN
    I HAD FUN FROM A LOUSY NIGHT FROM CONRAD AFTER I OVERLOOKED THE OVERFLOWIN SEPTIC BREATH TRUST ME HE WAS JUST UNHAPPY BECAUSE OF MY BALD LEAD SINGER OR ME WHEN I CHANGED A SHIRT BECAUSE I SPILT A DRINK ON MINE BUT I WORE A NUICE BLAZER SO THERE WAS NOOO PROBLEMS
    REALLY

GO ENJOY YOUR SELF FENDERBOY
    I KNO ITS HARD WITH SOME MUSICIANS
    BUT TRY TO OVERLOOK THEIR PROBLEMS

MAYBE SHED ADVICE TO HELP THE SITUATION 'WITH THEM
    IM TRYIN MY BEST AND TO ME IN 3 HRS IT IS OVER

GO FOR THE GUSTO
    SOME GIGS ARE A PAIN BUT TRY TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT
    YOU KNO WHA I MEAN I REALLY SEE YOUR POINT

IVE LEARNED TO FORGIVE AND FORGET PAST REALLY IM DOIN IT AND ITS WORKIN I USED TO HOLD ALOT PAST IN
    NOW NO MORE

FENDERBOY SORRY I WROTE LENGHYLY
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

(were moonpie and fenderboy locking horns? was it all in jest? note the smiley NOT winky faces!!!!!)

the great sounding gigs turn out to suck, the horrible ones turn out to be tolerable, and once in a while, in a great big blue moon, mediocre-sounding gigs turn out to be great!

if you want to play just go and play

if he sucks, he sucks, you can tear a new black-hole into the air if you choose to, in spite of his presence.

just drag him where you want him to go. you'll be pooped-out, but he'll be amazed at his potential and later on he'll be ready to playing with you.

'kay?

"And I want to take you with me..."
    Last edited by Annie D.; 03-18-2004 at 10:19 PM.

gigs i dread? ever single last "metal" show i either play at, or mix. i cannot even begin to explain my contempt and utter hatred of the "metal" community. it seems to me like a bunch of drunk sweaty dudes that want to pick a fight with anyone at the show.

lou nailed it, get paid, go home. fuck the rest. simple as that. a couple beers won't hurt either...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

(were moonpie and fenderboy locking horns? was it all in jest? note the smiley NOT winky faces!!!!!)

NOT!!!! We's jest playin.......sorry we forgot the smileys....
    :) :) :) and fuck you too Annie

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH and another lick from Angel the avatar.:) :tw59

Don't fret, Annie. No problem with moonpie on this end.

I mean really....how could there be a problem with somebody named moonpie?

Anyway, I called the drummer, the one who arranged the show, to ask if he was certain about the places PA and if I needed to bring anything extra to the gig.

He said that I should bring a mic stand because he wasn't sure if there was an extra stand there...and then he drops this:

"The room we're playing in has bad acoustics so you shouldn't play too loud."

Forum Member
    [B"The room we're playing in has bad acoustics so you shouldn't play too loud."

[/B]
    Hell, what room that most of us play ever has GOOD acoustic?...very very few...

What room is a "GOOD" room?

My point exactly, pbradt.

How about this?
    A few minutes ago I got a call from the drummer again.
    He said they have a 100W Kustom PA system at this place and he wanted to know if that was adequate! HE thought it would be OK because we need to play "not loud". DAMN!

Good thing I asked about the sound system, eh?
    I'm packing up my 600W Yamaha in a few minutes.

Originally posted by pbradt

Note to self: never EVER get involved with musicians who are undergoing a religious conversion. if they're already there, maybe, but if they're in the throes of religious mania (AND too stupid to realize they're being led around by thhe dick at the same time) STAY AWAY!
    Woo boy, that hits home!

Shortly after 9/11, our bass player/manager/organizer decided to find God (not that there's anything wrong with that) and went the born again route. He became very serious and sullen. No more intoxicants at rehearsal, no more tunes with suggestive lyrics, no more joking around. The minster of his church did not approve of him playing in a rock and roll band (it is, after all, the devils's music) and would pop in in once in a while to hear what we were up to. Bear in mind that we're grown men in our 40's and 50's.

Long story short, no more fun.

I left ( actually I was fired) after a dispute about a gig some 50 miles away for which were to receive the sum of $200.00 fo our effort.

One more reason why I'm a firm belever in the 11th Commandment: Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Re: What room is a "GOOD" room?

My point exactly, pbradt.

How about this?
    A few minutes ago I got a call from the drummer again.
    He said they have a 100W Kustom PA system at this place and he wanted to know if that was adequate! HE thought it would be OK because we need to play "not loud". DAMN!

Good thing I asked about the sound system, eh?
    I'm packing up my 600W Yamaha in a few minutes.
    What's this guy thinkin'. My monitor amp is 400W. I got rid of my 200W Kustom 10 years ago because it was taking up room in my garage!

P.S. Thank you for making me apreciate my drummer (Denifish) sooooo much. If I had one like yours I'd have to kill em.
    If you can't laugh at yourself, who can?

and fuck you too Annie
    come here and let me smack you upside the head, hard too! !!! next time say "fuck you, ma'am."

glad you're all funnin'. i'm headin' out the door right now to drag four or five people where they need to go willingly. boy howdy is this tiresome. still, I get to do some tunes and make a buck. not bad for an ancient female, eh?

and keep your little-humpy-houn'dog's tongue inside it's head, you little shit. *smooch*

*LOL*

Originally posted by Annie D.
    [and keep your little-humpy-houn'dog's tongue inside it's head, you little shit. *smooch* [/B]
    :) :)

YES MA'AM!!!!

drummers aren't as familiar with watts as those who use amps

tha's all

Well, here I go.

All packed up and spiffy.
    Wish me luck.

We're with you FenderBoy!!!!!!!!

Make us proud:)

break a leg, compadre

look pa! our little boy's all growed up, *sniff*

Gig Report

We were set up in this hall with an adjoining room where all the food and drink was, so we bascically played the first set to an empty room as the teachers mingled around the food.
    This was a good thing as it took the drummer that entire first hour to warm up.
    The bass player did all right except he frequently missed the one and fumbled around trying to find it.

The second set brought in the folks and we did OK. I guess I'd forgotten how this bunch, and a lot of others, do NOT get out that often to hear a live band...so they danced quite a bit and sang along to a few of my older favorites and seemed to have a good time.
    Then we got paid.

Ding...ding...ding!

With this thing flying the way it did this evening, though not with flying colors, it came off well enough to make me think that I'm really just a big fucking pain in the ass and that I expect too much in circumstances that don't really matter all that much.
    Princess FenderBoy, maybe.

Aw, shit. Performance is everything to me. Who am I kidding? I'll never drop my expectations...even if they are at times clearly overblown.

Thanks for listening and for all your thoughts and wishes.

Forum Member
    You're too damn old to be Princess anything, ya geezer. From now on, it's Lady Fenderboy !!!

And by the way, it really wasn't all that bad - see, all that hand wringing for nuttin !!!

Just play yer damn guitar ! (And uh sing too, you sing real purty.)

OK, now you're scaring me. I have to gig in 9 weeks with FenderBoy the Furor? Eeeeeeeeek! LOL!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Re: Gig Report

Aw, shit. Performance is everything to me. Who am I kidding? I'll never drop my expectations...even if they are at times clearly overblown.

Thanks for listening and for all your thoughts and wishes.
    If you lower the standards to which you want to play, you might as well sell your gear and become a talk-show host.

I've had the same problem with every band I've ever been in.

"We're making $50 apiece, why should we worry about being that good?"

BECAUSE YOU NEED TO HAVE A LITTLE SELF-RESPECT, AND IF YOU'RE GOING TO PUT YOURSELF ON PUBLIC DISPLAY, WHY LOOK LIKE AN INCOMPETENT MORON? THAT'S WHY, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yes I have screamed those words at people.

I remember playing with the shipboard musicians on the Delbert Cruise, both years. The Delbert Cruiuse was their play time. No shitty lounge music, they got to play blues, country, rock and roll and they were GREAT. Both years, they have been great and it was a JOY to play with them because they really knew their shit, could anticipate and you could tell them something once or twice and it'd stick.

Of course, playing with cats like Lee Roy and the musicians he's had with him has totally spoile me to half-assed musicians.

If you're going to do it, at least learn the damn songs...

Re: Re: Gig Report

"We're making $50 apiece, why should we worry about being that good?"

I, for one see nothing wrong with adjusting the show to fit the pay. Heck, sometimes, if I'm only getting paid (use your imagination), I carry a guitar without a full set of strings. You get what you pay for, I tell 'em. And if I'm not making over (once again, I know this hurts your head, but use your imagination) I see no reason why I shouldn't get drunk as hell by the end of the third set. We ain't gettin' paid what we deserve, might as well have a good time, right?

Look, there's no reason we shouldn't stretch this break into 45 minutes, there's no one in here. If someone comes in, we'll get up and play.

Really, I think anyone who puts on a million dollar show for (ya'll are gonna hate me for this, but you've gotta pick your own $ threshold again ) is a total loser.

Always adjust the show to fit the pay.
    Ater awhile, you settle into a groove and the pay fits the show.

But I'm ready, if ya'll run across anybody needing me on the road. I wouldn't hold back in a situation like that.

You can call me at 1-800-Dumbass.

PS: Note to FenderBoy:wav

:wav

Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Gig Report

Originally posted by moonpie
    I, for one see nothing wrong with adjusting the show to fit the pay. Heck, sometimes, if I'm only getting paid (use your imagination), I carry a guitar without a full set of strings. You get what you pay for, I tell 'em. And if I'm not making over (once again, I know this hurts your head, but use your imagination) I see no reason why I shouldn't get drunk as hell by the end of the third set. We ain't gettin' paid what we deserve, might as well have a good time, right?

Look, there's no reason we shouldn't stretch this break into 45 minutes, there's no one in here. If someone comes in, we'll get up and play.

Really, I think anyone who puts on a million dollar show for (ya'll are gonna hate me for this, but you've gotta pick your own $ threshold again ) is a total loser.

Always adjust the show to fit the pay.
    Ater awhile, you settle into a groove and the pay fits the show.

But I'm ready, if ya'll run across anybody needing me on the road. I wouldn't hold back in a situation like that.

You can call me at 1-800-Dumbass.
    Note to self, take Moonpie off the list. Not professional enough.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gig Report

Note to self, take Moonpie off the list. Not professional enough.
    :) :) :)

Little Lord Fenderboy is lowering his standards.

:flush :wah :dead

Little FenderBoy is lowering his standards???

What ARE you smokin', Annie, my dear?

I just agonize. That's all.

there ain't nothing wrong with wanting the best from yourself fenderboy (or is it fendergeezer? LMAO). i guess you made it out alive, that's a good thing. and you got paid, that is even better.

i will say this, i perform 100% whether i'm getting paid or not. music performance is not my career, so i take what they give. bet every show is the best show i can do that day. i'm not saying they are stellar, but i try my hardest to make them so. that to me is prefessionalism. it was hard for me to learn, but i'm glad i did.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

The reason for doing your best: A few weeks ago we played at a jam for no pay. Our band members were the only ones that showed up. We played our best for 4 1/2 hours (note: the bass player and female vocalist were the only ones who were healthy). During our last break the owner booked us for next weekend. Moral of the story is, you never know who may be in the audience. A bad job may get you snubbed later on.
    If you can't laugh at yourself, who can?

I have, just recently. It was a "Battle of the Bands" on a Sunday night. It was the last thing I wanted to do on a Sunday night, but I did it anyway. My wife asked why I do these Sunday night gigs if I hate them so much. That was simple, it may be the last time I ever get a chance to play.

Let me say that again, it may be the last time I ever get a chance to play.

When I have a gig that I don't want to do, I just do it and pretend that I'm having the time of my life. I do my part as a rythmn guitarist (and rodie, sound guy, etc.) waiting for my solos, then I get my 30 seconds or so........
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Oh yeah, we won the B.O.B.!!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

What ARE you smokin', Annie, my dear?
    winston lights. i just want you to always play your flippin' best.
    you never DO know who's in the audience. who you touch. what life you saved. who's soul you soothed. who's ego got released.

you have a gift. deliver it as long as you can. these things aren't always possible. don't last forever.

agonizing is just sumpin' musicians do with their energy and insight. i understand. *smooch*

way to go thebluesbarn!