Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What player or album/CD made you wanna play a Tele??

What player or album/CD made you wanna play a Tele??

For me it was the first time I heard Roy Buchannan on his album "When a Guitar Plays the Blues"...that opening number on that album literally almost made me piss in my pants...Heck, it still does

Only to this day I can't make my Teles sound like his

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Re: What player or album/CD made you wanna play a Tele??

Originally posted by Williams
    For me it was the first time I heard Roy Buchannan on his album "When a Guitar Plays the Blues"...that opening number on that album literally almost made me piss in my pants...Heck, it still does

-Kevin
    Same her pal, same here. I am actually starting to get into Gatton a little and its getting me inspired all over again

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    I always thought that Keith Richards sounded so good with a tele, but it was seeing the Georgia Satellites play live that sealed it. Lead Singer/ Rhythm Guitarist, Dan Baird, made that guitar sound 'fun'....if that makes any sense.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Old Tele man
    ...seeing an "early" picture of jazzman Howard Roberts playing a Telecaster...

...thought: if HE can do it (jazz) on a Tele, so can I...

...well, at least, I can TRY to play jazz on a Tele (and Ed Bickert and Ted Greene can!)

Originally posted by Old Tele man
    ...seeing an "early" picture of jazzman Howard Roberts playing a Telecaster...

...thought: if HE can do it (jazz) on a Tele, so can I...

...well, at least, I can TRY to play jazz on a Tele (and Ed Bickert and Ted Greene can!)
    HR used a Tele?? Didn't know that one before...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

1) Keith Richards
    2) Roy Buchanan
    3) All of the Hellicasters
    4) Brent Mason

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Roy Buchanan's first and second albums on Polydor (I think it was Polydor) and some of Jeff Beck's Yarbirds stuff.

Forum Member
    This may seem odd, but Paul McCartney is responsible.
    When I was about 9 in 1970 my very first record I ever got was his solo album, McCartney. The one with spilled cherries on the cover. He did all the instruments on it and there is some really nice guitar work. There's a picture on the cover of him with a sunburst tele with a rosewood neck.
    Roll on 34 years and I now have a sunburst tele with a rosewood neck as my main guitar.

Old Tele man
    Williams--here's some reading info:

http://www.riffinteractive.com/expgu...erts_Sound.htm

note the last sentence of the first paragraph: "For rock sessions Roberts generally used an old Fender Broadcaster with light strings."

...about his amps, see the last paragraph: "Howard chose a Fender Pro for rock, country and pop studio dates."

When I locate the picture of him playing his Broadcaster and Pro, I'll post the link...
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 03-14-2004 at 04:28 PM.

Yardbirds
    Zepplin I
    Beatles , Let it be roof top concert . (George with rosewood Tele)
    Steve Cropper
    Everything by Roy Buchanan

To name a few.
    Tonedrip

"The shrink said I'm Tonal retentive".

Forum Member
    Steve Cropper, any1?

Forum Member
    I just kinda always wanted to play a tele when I started to play the guitar. Jimmy Page and Kieth Richards sealed it for me, though. I didn't know Teles could play hard rock until I heard Page. Just now am I starting to venture into Buchannan stuff. I love Buch.

Forum Member

-Kevin
    I will tell how to get as close as you're gonna get to the Buchannan tone. Get an Ash/Maple Tele with a Voodoo TE50's Broadcaster pickup and plug into a Blackface Vibrolux Reverb. A REALLY overwound Tele pickup is Key to his tone. I'm talking in the 9k range. With the Tin Baseplate. After hearing this voodoo, it's REALLY easy to hear the similarities. That's how he got that HUGE barking midrange of his.

Or as Marcondo did, just use a '50-53 Fender Champion Lap Steel and convert it's pickup into a Tele Pickup. Whatever you do, a Pickup in the neighborhood of 9k is essential.

I was vaguely aware of Teles for a while, but I was young and without a clue.
    My sonic wake up call was probably Springsteen on "Darkness on the Edge of Town."
    A friend of mine turned me on to him. He was unlike anything anybody in our circles was into. I kind of dismissed a cassette of Born to Run at first due lack of obvious riffage.
    But Darkness coalesced heaviness, which appealed to my teenaged sensibilities, with good writing and screaming guitar. And caught me at just the right time. It seemed to alter me, but I think it really just hit me where I lived.

And definitely Steve Cropper. When I try out a Tele in a shop, the first noises I make sound something like "Pain In My Heart."
    Last edited by NeoFauve; 03-15-2004 at 10:02 AM.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Unquestionably ' Born to Run '.
    That's what guitars are supposed to look like...yeah ...?

I don't care about amps, pic-ups, leads, speakers, name-on-the-headstock...any of that shit.
    If it looks like a Tele and can make Tele sounds...well that'll do me.
    I met a Devil Woman, she took my heart away
    She said I had it comin', But I wanted it that way

fezz parka
    HR used a Tele?? Didn't know that one before...

-Kevin
    First tele experience: James Burton on Ozzie & Harriet.

First time I saw a tele in person it was HR's. I played it when I was a kid. It was a '53, strung with flatwounds. He showed me how to play "The Munsters" theme on it. The guy was hands down the best guitar player I ever saw or have seen since.

TFF Stage Crew
    Well, I'd have to say "Fly Night Bird" by Roy B., which I heard on Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series at a very young age.

However, I must admit it didn't cause me to pick up a Tele for many years. Also, someone later told me that they thought Roy was by then playing his signature guitar and not a Tele. Dunno.

What really did it was Mike Stern. Once again, it wasn't a real Tele--at that time he was playing a custom Tele-type body with a Broadcaster neck. It also had a PAF-type humbucker in the neck position.

Still, there was something about watching him play these blistering bebop lines on a Tele that completely won me over. I just always thought I should try one someday.

That's all it took--one try.

Forum Member
    Clarence White, especially on the Byrds Live at the Fillmore CD.

I became interested in the Tele sound when I heard Roy, but it wasn't until I saw him play on a bootleg copy of Austin City Limits that I seriously considered picking one up. Tele's always struck me as a more difficult instrument to play, but the leads he's playing on this tape would make EVH blush. Ubelievable speed. I figured (naively) if someone could pull off the kinds of leads he was doing there, that maybe it was possible. I still haven't found one that I'm really comfortable with, but that tone keeps me searching...

Seeing Junior Brown did it for me. I had teles before that and sold them but seeing him made me wanna keep one. Then I happened to play a Gatton tele, realized it was the perfect guitar and bought it.

The self-titled Roy Buchanan disc & Grace by Jeff Buckley really got me interested in Teles. However, every time I've gone shopping for a Tele, I come home with a Les Paul!

What record?

Probably something by James Burton with that Nelson kid on vocals. I remember liking the riff to "My One Desire", and the solo to "Travelling Man" was neat. Not that I was hearing this stuff when it first came out :ahem, but I was really into rockabilly and stuff in the 80's when I started playing.

Gatton and Buchanan were big influences, but they definitely came later.
    No neck, no problem

Forum Member
    Mr. Cropper. Loved his tasteful understated technique and his tone too.

Then came Buchanan and finally Gatton. I was hooked. Bought a 52 RI.
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."

James Burton and Albert Lee (i know he plays an ernie ball now but use to be tele)

I've been a Fender guy for a long time, but started with a '65 Mustang. That was my only electric until about 4 years ago when I bought a MIM Strat. I have three Strats now, and finally decided to round out my Fender collection with a '93 MIA Tele last week.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to consider a Tele, I probably subconsciously filed it under "country", although I like a whole bunch of guitarists who use/used Teles such as early Clapton/Page, James Burton, Clarence White, Roy Buchanan and Keith Richard. I think what finally pushed me over the edge interestingly enough, was a recent Austin City Limits show with the Derailers. Those guys just knocked me out.
    Last edited by Dangerine49; 03-17-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Forum Member
    roy buchanan .. danny gatton .. brent mason

hell, i'll never have their chops ... but if i could get close to some of those tones, i'll be happy to let my personal vocabulary of chops do the talkin' for me

cheers,
    t4d

I think keith was my first inspiration as far as wanting to play but I saw Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) around 68/69, and he just made his Tele cry, moan, growl, cluck, squeak, shriek and rock out all on the same song!......totally awesome player. Up to that point I thought LP's and Strats were the bombs but after that night I knew that The Tele was gonna be it for me.,

had I known the spell that it would cast on me, I would have never picked one up that day in the music store....but I have no regrets and wouldn't trade mine for a million $$$$, but then again I'll listen to offers...LOL

68tele243
    Fast doesn't always mean good

firstly i want to say that i don`t have a tele yet, every time i got to buy one i end up with something else.

anyway don`t laugh but it was richie sambora in the video to always, i was young and it was in the charts at the time. He is also the reason that i started to play guitar.
    paul

Forum Member
    I never considered using a Telecaster, even after Roy Buchanan blew my mind on that "Buck and the Snakestretchers" LP that came in a burlap bag!
    First time I heard "The Messiah Will Come Again," I was really stoned and a roomate turned up his Bose 901's and put that on.
    It was a tremendous experience!

However, I never considered one for myself until about 1981 when I was struggling in an orchestra pit with my old Kalamazoo Epi archtop. The sound was so tubby for some reason in a particular rehearsal hall.
    A production member said, "Here, try this," and handed me a Tokai "Breezysound" tele with SD Quarterpounders aboard.
    The world turned 180 for me that day.
    I traded on the spot!

Since than, I've never met a Tele I didn't like!

Terry Kath and Andy Summers. Oddly enough, though they were vastly different players of vastly different eras, both used Tele's with humbuckers in the neck position. Theirs were both standard Tele's DIY with Gibson HBs installed. Mine's a '73 Custom with the Fender HB at the neck.

Forum Member
    Steve Cropper
    Danny Gatton
    Bruce Springsteen
    Terry Kath
    Pete Townshend (early Who)
    George Harrison (Rosewood Tele anyone?)
    Mike Bloomfield
    Jimmy Messina
    Marty Stuart

to name a few.

the quick answer would be keef, but about the same time i seriously considered getting a tele i got turned on to roy nichols. and you might note that my tele is autographed by albert lee (caveat: i bought it that way).

Forum Member

Is this working?

For me? There are only two.

The Kinks

Albert Collins

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Originally, Roy Buchanan and James Burton.

Now it's Vince Gill, Brent Mason and Brad Paisley. Is anyone playing a Tele any hotter than Paisley right now?

fezz parka

I know I already answered this, but this struck me:

The Three B's: Bryant, Burton, & Buchanan.

Paisley does indeed play. I'll toss in Bill Hullett & Jim Campolingo.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Well, it wasn't actually a player at all. I listened to a bunch of guys on an internet forum.

Well that'll teach ya! Hope you've learned your lesson! :)

You know Fezz...I should be a Fender amp apologist right now, being as I like the blackfaces as much as I do. But Holy Crap! I listened to Paisley again today, and the round, rich overtones he's getting! It's HUGE! Playing what? '68 Tele, Crook Teles..all with Lindy Fralin pick-ups, and what kind of amps?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Williams

-Kevin
    Waylon Jennings and Roy. Two of the greatest Tele pickers.

Between "Roy's Bluz" and Waylon's entire catalog, I was hooked. Still adore them both.