Thread: 1965-66

1965-66

I have been watching all kinds of videos from 65-66. Hullabaloo Shindig Where the Action is and Ed SUllivan SHow.

I see alot more Jags and Jazzmasters than Teles and STrats also alot of 335's and Moserites.

Strats really didnt get popular until after Jimi. Strats and Teles are in the minority on all these videos and I've seen hundreds.

At the time, Fender made student guitars and regular guitars. The student guitars were never seen used by professional musicians. The MusicMaster (one pickup), DuoSonic (two pickups), Mustang (two pups & a tremolo) & Mustang Bass were the student line, sharing a body (& neck on the guitars). The Tele was still popular (especially in country music), the Strat was the basic rock & roll guitar, but the Jazzmaster & Jaguar were the most expensive, and considered top of the line.

Gibson was not making Les Paul solidbodies, which had been replaced by the SG. There were Firebirds, but they were never as popular as the SG. The 335 was the archtop hollowbody of choice, because it wasn't really a true hollowbody with that chunk of wood in the center, and that 4x4 made construction of them cheaper than the true hollowbodies and helped reduce feedback in rock-level volume.

Other than the Ventures, there were few pros playing Mosrites. You'd see far more Gretsches than Mosrites, especially in the rockabilly bands.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Forum Member

Re: 1965-66

The Strat and Tele were destined to be discontinued around 1967, until Jimi saved the Strat. The Tele just rode along with it!
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

Quote Originally Posted by IPLAYLOUD
    The Strat and Tele were destined to be discontinued around 1967, until Jimi saved the Strat. The Tele just rode along with it!

wow!
    i-did-not-know-that!
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    wow!
    i-did-not-know-that!
    Good ol' Jimi... :ahem

so i wonder if fender actually has *acid*/mind-altering-drugs to thank for it's success?

hmmm....
    Imanidiot.

Jimi should get some kinda posthumous sales award. He sold truck loads of strats, more than any Fender Rep.
    threadkiller par excellance

Gotta love Henrix!