Thread: 19?? Fender Jazz Bass

Forum Member

19?? Fender Jazz Bass

My Dad just bought a Fender Jazz bass and we are trying to get all the info we can on it. year ect... The patent number is:
    2573-254_2960900_2968204_3.1xxxxx The serial number is :
    412xxx
    If you can help I would deeply appreiciate it.
    Thanks, Darrell
    Last edited by bold603; 03-09-2004 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    That seems like way too many numbers to me.

TFF Stage Crew
    Where did you find that number? That looks like a bunch of patent numbers. They sometimes put those on the headstock, underneath where it says Fender Jazz Bass. Is there a number on the neck plate? On the back of the neck, either at the heel or headstock? Can you give us any more of a description of the bass itself?

Forum Member

Fender Jazz Bass

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have yet to see the bass. My Dad called me last night and wanted me to try and find out some info on it. You are right. I talked to him today and he said that it did say patent on it. Duh !! oh well, he doesn't know. Anyway he found these numbers on the chrome plate where tha neck bolts on. They are :
    412xxx
    I tried looking that number up and as far as I can tell it is a 1974 or possibly a 1975. He said it has 3 knobs on it. What I have read says a 1974 had 2. ???? I will be over there tomorrow and will maybe after my visit.
    Dad said the guitar and case looks perfect. It was stored away for alot of years
    Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks, Darrell

That serial number is from around 1973-74 according to George Gruhn's Book.

It should have 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob, block inlays, (white Pearloid with a rosewood fingerboard and black with a maple board) and a 4 bolt neck. Current Blue Book estimates for a 1973 Jazz bass in excellent condition is between $1700 and $2300 depending on the color. Street prices are somewhat less. Cool Bass Congratulations.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.