Thread: Recommend me a good Echo/Delay pedal

Recommend me a good Echo/Delay pedal

Something for Rockabilly type styles. Thanks in advance!:)

For a rockabilly slap delay I get the best results using an analog pedal. My favorite right now is a Boss DM2.
    Spose is right, Setzer has used the old Roland Space echoes for years. There's nothing quite like a real tape echo. The best digital unit I ever had was one of the original white faced Chandler rack units. It absolutely exceled at all types of delay and was the closest to a tape unit of anything I've ever heard. It was stolen about 10 years ago and I still want to replace it one day.
    Spose, was it a Tonemaster head Setzer was using or was it a Brown Bassman??

Originally posted by Spose
    Good call G!
    Nah, not really. He's been using Brownface Bassmans (Bassmen??) forever, ever since the Stray Cats days. I didn't know if he had changed amps or if possibly you hadn't gotten a close enough look.:wail2

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Recommend me a good Echo/Delay pedal

Originally posted by BlueFrogs
    Something for Rockabilly type styles. Thanks in advance!:)
    Maxon. Expensive, but great sounds for more vintage type delay tones. I have the smaller one (AD-80) and it's perfect for me, but I'm sure the ones with longer delay times are great too.

TFF Stage Crew

I'll second the Maxon

I picked up the AD-9 recently and for slapback stuff it really excels.

I initially chose the AD-9 because it has wet/dry stereo outs which allow for a much more expansive sound than mono delays. I have compared it extensively to the other delays I own which include an EP3 Echoplex, Boss DM2, EH Deluxe Memory Man, Danelectro DanEcho (good slapback for those on a budget), and Lexicon MPX G2. I have not been disappointed with the AD-9 and it now resides permanently on my pedal board.

Forum Member
    Danelectro Dan-Echo

For the price and tone, you can't beat the DM-2...
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

I bought an Ibanez AD-9 new back in the '80s and still use it.

I've tried others and it has the most organic tone.

I use it strictly for a rockabilly type sound with one quick repeat.

Best new analog - The Maxxon
    Best new value - The Ibanez DE7 up to 4 ms with digital/analog switch for simulating analog ($80.00 cash new)
    Best new cheapo - the Danelectro mini (they aren't bad)
    Carry On!

John

Forum Member
    You can usually find old DOD FX90's on Ebay for $70.00 or less. They're cheesily built, the battery doors suck, and the switch does not inspire any confidence whatsoever and makes noise when you step on it. With its rather limited delay range it's just not much of a delay in the grand scheme of things. That being said, it's the BEST rockabilly slapback pedal I've ever heard and rockabilly is my main gig. Mine lives on a pedal board (hey, I don't live in the '50s...;) so it doesn't see the wear a free-standing one might. If that review leaves you scared, the Ibanez AD9 and Boss DM2 are excellent if now kinda co$tly. The Dan-Echo is good if you have a steady power supply (i.e. walwart/board power), but it tends to eat batteries and sound awful as it's dying. I've also never had a Dano pedal survive more than a year on my board without dying. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Bob Craver; 12-22-2003 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll let you know what pedal I got as soon as I get it.:tw59

Bob C-
    I have been getting more and more into the rockabilly thing. I love it.:wail2 Just wondering what kind of gear you're using? Thanks!:)