Thread: How much difference is there between...

Forum Member

How much difference is there between...

The Mexican Teles and Squire Teles. I have two SG's and I want to broaden my sound a bit...but I'm limited on funds (you know the tune :) ) Anyways, would I be better off just spending $389 on the Mexican or will the Squire surprise me?

I would try them out myself but my local dealer has no Squire Teles so I can't compare them!

Thanks

Forum Member

"Or you can go for what's behind door #1!"

sj3,

I haven't much experience with Squiers, just strummed a few in shops, actually. And, I'm not a fan of MIM Fender gits, but recognize that many differ with me on that one. So, maybe someone more qualified will chime in after this post; if only to refute me. ;)

I've never heard much good on Squiers (Korean-made, I believe). In fact, I don't hear much of anything about them...from anyone. I've always considered them to be an "entry level" Fender. However, with used gear to be had at a comparable price; why bother?

Sounds like you're in the $400 range. If it were me, I'd shoot for a good used American Standard. Probably even get a case with it, which you won't likely get with the MIM or Squier. Much better shot at getting your money's worth, IMO.

Believe there's a MIM vs MIJ thread* in the Tele forum. You'll at least hear something about MIMs in there. Good luck! :)

*Any MIM 50's Tele Owners Here?

Forum Member
    Thanks! More options was what I was looking for. I was just wondering if I might enjoy the Squire with a tuner and pickup change. But a used American sounds very nice.
    Last edited by superjudge3; 08-03-2002 at 05:49 PM.
    "Proud of owner of two beautiful Epiphone SG's"

Forum Member
    sj3,

$400 wd/b rock-bottom for an AmStd, but eBay produces such deals; especially for the patient & thorough shopper. :wail2

or go for the 50's or 60's classic teles u can find them used for around $400 , but if u want either the standard or the squire, definitely go for the standard, its much better IMHO

Modding a guitar costs money you could have spent on a guitar that would already be nicely playable.....just a thought....

It would be well worth yer while to somehow find one of each (AM, MIM, SQR) to do the touchy feely on.......that's the only way you'll really know how well you'll still like it in 6 months.......just my opinion.....I personally am not fond of Squires.....the MIMs are way better, although they can be a crap shoot......lots of people have found some really good ones, ( although they also mod 'em).....the AMs are pretty much the cream of the crop and if the budget is cramped, buy used, buy smart.....

But what do I know....I'm gonna play a Jimmy Vaughan (MIM) strat sometime this next week to see if I like it or not....... .....gibs