Thread: Bill Kirchen

Forum Member

Bill Kirchen

I like the way my buddy Billy Kirchen describes a Tele. I think this was from an interview in VG magazine (Bill emailed it to me 'cuz he knows I like the way he talks).

In a message dated 6/21/02 1:45:58 PM, vguitar@vguitar.com writes:

o "Why do you think the Telecaster has become such an icon?"

o Bill Kirchen: "It’s the bicycle of guitars, the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. It has an extremely high style/material ratio - just a plank and a stick, some bolts and wires, but it looks cooler than anything.

It sounds OK, too, if you like perfect. It’s on a very short list, along with the Coke bottle and the New Holland hay rake (drawn by my father-in-law C. H. Prout about the same time as the Tele) of designs that have endured virtually unchanged for over half a century.

I’ve had mine for a third of a century and it]s still my favorite electric, the one I play every day. I like everything about it, from the 6 in-line pegs on the skinny head to the brass bridge under the heel of my hand. I’ll bet they were looking at a Tele when they designed the Sputnik. Leo and the guys got it right the first time, didn’t they?"

Peace and Twang,

Bill

thanks, Bill! I love your new album "Tied To The Wheel"

Forum Member

"Slow down, I see spots; the lines on the road just look like dots!"

Bill Kirchen is one of my favorite Tele players. Catch one of his live shows; he really delivers...you won't leave disappointed! ;)

Forum Member
    Also, if you guys can, try to get into his class at the National Guitar Workshop. Bill K is an absolute genius, and a greatteacher to boot.
    I now work at Dan E's former place of employment in ANn Arbor, Mi., (at Herb's), and I have had the good fortune to be able to meet Bill Kirchen in person, and let me assure you that in addition to being one of the best guitar players out there, he is also one of the nicest people you can meet.
    -Sid

Forum Member
    A god and a sweetheart - catch him at any of his regular gigs in the DC area, he'll chat with you for hours between sets or after the gig.
    It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with
    the human problem all one's life and find at the end
    that one has no more to offer by way of
    advice than "try to be a little kinder."
    -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)

Good to see you here Sid! I haven't met you, but I've talked to you on the phone a few times. I own RIT Music over on Main. I'll have to stop by and chat sometime.

And I agree about Bill. I met him thru Cub Koda. Bill is a great guy. Always has time to talk to you about anything, but in particular guitars! Cub was much the same, God rest his soul.

TBD

Forum Member
    Yes! If yer near D.C. it's worth the effort to make it out to the tiney Sunset Grille in Annandale, Va. on most any given Thursday night. You can see Too Much Fun play three sets for $4.00. 10 years ago it was three nights a week for FREE! Best deal in (uh...near) town.

Forum Member
    I took the NGW's Hot Country Licks class summer year in Nashville. Bill Kirchen was our guest lecturer. He spent an afternoon with us teaching us technique and licks, talking gear, and sharing touring and recording war stories. What a great guy! (Now I can honestly say when I play the Hot Rod Lincoln lick it's note-for note!)

And I agree with Bob, catch Bill with the Too Much Fun band at his regular Sunset Grill gig if you can. $4 cover, smoke free Thursday nights, tiny room, cheap beer, twang - what could be better!

On the gear front, after Bill taught us at Nashville, I flipped around the control plate on my Tele like he has on his. He's right - it's much more ergodynamic/"swells" friendly.

I'd just love to see how he gets all those different sounds out of one guitar & amp when he does Hot Rod Lincoln. It just blows my mind every time I hear that song. Awesome! I will definately go see him if he comes to my area.