Thread: Fender Frontman 25R speaker upgrade

Forum Member

Fender Frontman 25R speaker upgrade

Hello all,
    I just acquired a Fender Frontman 25R in red tolex for free. It's several years old, but is literally brand new. I really like the clean channel, but not the dirty channel. I'm thinking a speaker upgrade might do the trick, or maybe another modification. Any suggestions on speakers, wattage, brand, etc. that would be worthwhile? I also have a line on a barely played Vox AC15C1 for $450.00. Would I be better off selling the Fender and use that money along with what the speaker upgrade would cost and put it towards the Vox, or just buy a new speaker since the Fender was free? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Fender Frontman 25R speaker upgrade

Go for the Vox.
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Take the $450 that you're considering to spend on the disposable Vox AC15 and the proceeds from unloading your equally-disposable Frontman 25R and find yourself a clean Fender Deluxe Reverb re-issue (the older the better).

Ten years from now you'll still own the DRRI while either of the alternatives will be landfill fodder in three years or less.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Take the $450 that you're considering to spend on the disposable Vox AC15 and the proceeds from unloading your equally-disposable Frontman 25R and find yourself a clean Fender Deluxe Reverb re-issue (the older the better).

Ten years from now you'll still own the DRRI while either of the alternatives will be landfill fodder in three years or less.
    Second that emotion and I'll add unless you're playing fairly large venues a Princeton Reverb is an excellent choice as well, (NOT THE TONEMASTER versions!)

If you want an amp that can switch clean and dirty the venerable old PEAVEY Classic 30 is a winner too, and a bargain.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Truth!

In all that. My gigs desire a more Voxy sound. Either way, dump the Frontman.
    Mark