Thread: Recommendations for gigging amp stand

Recommendations for gigging amp stand

I’m looking for a lightweight, folding amp stand to support a small 1x12 combo for use at live gigs where stage space is at a premium. The key feature I need (which I’m not able to find in the features/spec of any of them) is that I want one that raises my amp off the ground but DOES NOT TILT BACK!!
    The ability to tilt back would be desirable in certain circumstances but the ability to keep the amp upright is absolutely essential. I used to have one like this, where you “reversed” the forks to change between upright and tilted, but I lent it to someone many years ago and I don’t remember the brand.
    Sitting the amp on a small table or chair, or stacking it on someone else’s cab is neither stable nor professional, so I need to find a proper black powder coated metal stand.
    Recommendations and comments gratefully received.

Re: Recommendations for gigging amp stand

Quote Originally Posted by ajwain View Post
    I’m looking for a lightweight, folding amp stand to support a small 1x12 combo for use at live gigs where stage space is at a premium. The key feature I need (which I’m not able to find in the features/spec of any of them) is that I want one that raises my amp off the ground but DOES NOT TILT BACK!!
    The ability to tilt back would be desirable in certain circumstances but the ability to keep the amp upright is absolutely essential. I used to have one like this, where you “reversed” the forks to change between upright and tilted, but I lent it to someone many years ago and I don’t remember the brand.
    Sitting the amp on a small table or chair, or stacking it on someone else’s cab is neither stable nor professional, so I need to find a proper black powder coated metal stand.
    Recommendations and comments gratefully received.
    My experience with folding stands wasn't particularly good. Most of the X shaped ones will tilt back as you don't want them to.

What I prefer to do is have custom made hardcases for my amps, which can easily be used as stands. This is my Blues Jr. (exactly a 1x12 amp) on its case at a rehearsing studio:

So, in a sum, if I play in a venue that has a proper stage with stands and whatever else, that's fine. If it's a small bar or any other place, I put the amp on the case: problem solved.

Thanks for your response, S. Cane.
    I agree, and I do have flight cases for most things, including my amps, which is why I never bothered to ask for my amp stand to be returned. I’ve lost contact now with the guy I loaned it to, so I have little chance of getting it back.
    I’m running out of storage room now, and flight cases (even for something small, like a Blues Jnr.) are a pain to transport.
    I just thought I’d investigate getting a stand (if I could find one) as an alternative.

I understand.

To me the flight case is a practical solution, especially considering that tube amps need some extra protection during road trips, and most of the amp stands I’ve seen are not only bad, but also they’re one more thing to carry…

You're pretty much describing a chair.

Used 'em for decades as have many, many of my brethren. And the nice thing is, it's already there where you get there so you don't need to lug it around. Give me a chair and some Grolsch washers and I can play anywhere.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Used 'em for decades as have many, many of my brethren. And the nice thing is, it's already there where you get there so you don't need to lug it around. Give me a chair and some Grolsch washers and I can play anywhere.

The washers are also nice strap blocks

How high do you want to raise the amp? I used small plastic folding step stools. They're surprisingly rugged and are easy to find in stores. They're lightweight and fold flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    How high do you want to raise the amp? I used small plastic folding step stools. They're surprisingly rugged and are easy to find in stores. They're lightweight and fold flat.
    The step stool would be high enough, but I’m hoping my ideal product is out there somewhere… I wish I hadn’t given mine away!

Was your original specifically designed as an amp stand? Do you remember the manufacturer's name? Did you try eBay or Etsy?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Was your original specifically designed as an amp stand? Do you remember the manufacturer's name? Did you try eBay or Etsy?
    Yes; the original was an amp stand - not unlike the Fender one with “L” shaped brackets to rest the amp on and a folding trapezoid stand. I don’t remember the manufacturer, but the logo was a white lightning bolt on a black background.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yes; the original was an amp stand - not unlike the Fender one with “L” shaped brackets to rest the amp on and a folding trapezoid stand. I don’t remember the manufacturer, but the logo was a white lightning bolt on a black background.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

I was going to suggest a milk crate. Bonus of those is you can pack up cables, pedals and so on in them.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I was going to suggest a milk crate. Bonus of those is you can pack up cables, pedals and so on in them.

Another gig-proven design used for ages.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    My experience with folding stands wasn't particularly good. Most of the X shaped ones will tilt back as you don't want them to.

What I prefer to do is have custom made hardcases for my amps, which can easily be used as stands. This is my Blues Jr. (exactly a 1x12 amp) on its case at a rehearsing studio:

So, in a sum, if I play in a venue that has a proper stage with stands and whatever else, that's fine. If it's a small bar or any other place, I put the amp on the case: problem solved.
    This is what I do

TFF Stage Crew

I have used one of these with mixed results:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ripod_amp.html
    It's hard to see in the pics, but the rear leg is telescoping so it can bring the amp almost level

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    This is what I do

It’s practical and you don’t need to carry another piece of gear around

TFF Stage Crew

Mine has locking casters & that gives it a little more height