Thread: Sunday Thread for 02/25/2024

Sunday Thread for 02/25/2024

Here we are. Sunday. World Superbike from Phillip Island Australia today! Season opener!

The track has been resurfaced causing severe tire wear and the need for a frickin' pit stop halfway through the race! I hate pit stops. Ruins the entire race!

I may actually pick up my guitar today for the first time in 3 weeks. Been in a playing slump. But that's OK. So much fun to climb out of refreshed and eager to go!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: Sunday Thread for 02/25/2024

It's a beautiful day here behind the Cheddar Curtain on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Not much happening except for doing a breakfast run with the Corvette club followed up with a day of leisure.

I finally picked up my bass and started rehearsing the stuff I'll be playing in the "pit orchestra" for an annual two week fund raiser.

Hope all have a great day!

brilliant sunny and very chilly start here in the Granite State. Have a potentially interesting development in the offing. My brother and his girlfriend have an apartment lease that expires May 1st. They are not planning to renew it. She is currently building a place up north in ski country but it won't be ready for a long time (if ever, try getting a contractor these days). He told me this past Thursday that she'll be moving in here. This I don't mind. We get along great, she's an awesome cook, I love her dog. My cat tolerates the dog well enough and could learn to be friends if he could figure out she'd be a great playmate. I think the biggest issue will be how to feed the cat without the dog eating all his expensive prescription food. Cats graze, dogs gobble In time, we could train the dog to leave his food alone, she's wicked smart.

Last Sunday in February already. In 2 weeks, the glorious return of Daylights Saving Time. Will it be permanent this time? We keep getting the same promise every year yet like Charlie Brown, we keep getting the football yanked away by Lucy.

Birthday coming up next weekend, no plans other than wanting to see live music. Saw a (new to me) band Friday night, stayed to the last song. They were pretty good. Played Blitzkrieg Bop and I had a flashback to Feb 25, 1976. Mount St Mary's Seminary. First time I've ever been to that school for a dance. I knew a few of the bands that were going to play. First band comes out, black leather, chains, Doc Martins, Marshall stacks 1-2-3-4 ba da da da da da da ... WTF is this? 2 minutes later, the song ends, 1-2-3-4 and they played the exact same song. Except the lyrics were different I guess. As I'm watching from the front row, it is dawning on me. I've seen these guys before, in the magazines at the guitar store, Creem, Circus, Tiger Beat. OMG, this is The Ramones from NYC. It would be almost 4 decades later when I would find out that it was their first show outside The Big Apple.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

In the middle of some bass gigs today. It was suppose to be warmer today, so didn’t finish the grill build yesterday (could only work for about 30 min at a time before hands got numb). Well not much warmer today yet. Maybe by the time I get home. Still plan to finish the grill today and start looking for tires for the Mini vert. Got the OK from the mrs to take it to work. It has run flats on it now and feels like you’re riding on rims.
    Mark

My daughter came down to help me with house cleaning and other little projects. New puppies have done a number on the carpet, so has my ex's dogs, one a Great Pyr--I have hair everywhere, and even vacuum cleaners don't get it all. However, the ex is just a couple of weeks from moving out, and I'll be able to get my house spotless again. Looking forward to being the sole person here, three dogs, and a cat.

Work is going swimmingly. I've had some important stories to cover.

I do try to get in a few minutes of playing each day. I'm playing the Joe Pass jazz box more than any of the others. As for bass, I've been playing my Hofner a lot; McCartney's recovery of his was inspirational.

I am learning motion photography. Here are two of my dogs at play.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I think the biggest issue will be how to feed the cat without the dog eating all his expensive prescription food. Cats graze, dogs gobble In time, we could train the dog to leave his food alone, she's wicked smart.
    My daughter has two dogs, a Great Dane and a pesky little, over-amped something. Also a cat. To keep the dogs out of the cat's food (and the cat's poop, since dogs will do what they do) they have put the litter box and the cat food and water dishes on a riser that is out of the dog's way. The cat doesn't mind because it's easy enough to get to, and the dogs ignore (I suppose the Great Dane could reach it if she wanted, but she's an older dog and gets plenty of her own food...). Just an idea.

It's a pizza weekend for me. I decided to order a pizza Friday night, and when I went to pick it up, rather than hand me the medium pizza I ordered, they handed me two large pizzas -- for no good reason that I could tell. But not one to turn down free food, I had pizza Friday night, Saturday midday, this morning, and will likely have pizza tonight. I had a break in the pizza chain yesterday as my granddaughter was performing in an all-county choir. Only three fifth graders from each of 65 schools in the county were chosen for this event, so it was quite an honor. And a delightful concert, too! Afterwards, I learned she had auditioned singing "Country Roads." I reminded her that I gave her a ukulele Christmas before last, and that she could learn to playing as singing accompaniment. Then we had pork dumplings for dinner.

Sunny, but still chilly here. This week we're supposed to start seeing a warming trend. Right now though, I think I'll put a jacket on and go for a walk while the sun is shining!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Nothing going on at all. My daughter had an open house yesterday to celebrate moving into their new home. It was a great afternoon. Speaking of dogs, National Love Your Pet Day was last week... Here's Daisy!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    She is currently building a place up north in ski country but it won't be ready for a long time (if ever, try getting a contractor these days).
    Dan, I know an excellent contractor that works throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
    Tap.me a line at bikeshots@earthlink.net if you'd like his contact info. He's a "no bs" kind of guy that is very easy to get along with and capable of building the whole project. Excellent work ethic.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

GJ, that's one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

These are the two pups that I've taken on. Larry (white) and Leon (brown). Plus my big baby Keevo. He's my bestest buddy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    GJ, that's one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen.
    When Ann said she wanted a Pomeranian, I said I'd never go for a tiny little Foo Foo Dog. I told her if she got a dog like that I'd wipe my @$$ with it. It took about two hours to fall in love with that mutt. She has a personality as sweet as she looks. That picture was taken about a year ago when she hit 9 years old - she'll be 10 in March.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It would be hard for me to pass her without picking her up for a hug.

It would be hard for me to pass her without picking her up for a hug.
    I do constantly. She is so small and Poms have problems with their knees and hips, so she can't go up and down stairs, (or walking on tile floors - her feet slide out from under her) so she basically gets carried EVERYWHERE!

These are the two pups that I've taken on. Larry (white) and Leon (brown). Plus my big baby Keevo. He's my bestest buddy ever.

They look like great dogs!!!

I’m crazy about them. Keevo was with me during some tough times. He is a sweet dog. He’s getting used to the puppies and has been very patient.