Thread: Does 15 x 2 = 30...?

Forum Member

Does 15 x 2 = 30...?

OK... newbie (to both guitar and this forum) so be gentle...

I took up guitar as a covid hobby, so I'm a novice in every respect... but I'm also a little bit of a mad scientist at heart, so I can't leave stuff alone.

If this should be in the Tech/Repairs area, let me know...

I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, so I'd like to know if this idea is even do-able (don't ask why, just play along like I'm not nuts).

I have a Frontman 15B (no gain) and a Frontman 15G (Gain)... If I build a suitable enclosure, can the two be wired together to create a single amp head?

Basically, creating a 2-channel amp from two 1-channel amps?

If so, would the power output double (30 watts)? Or would I have two 15 watt channels?

I have collected some assorted speakers, so I could conceivably make a 2x8 cab in almost any Impedance, depending on how I wire the cab. Both amps are 8phm, I believe.

I know most of the posts in this section are about Princetons, Deluxes and Twins... but I'm no where close to that level...

Any help would be appreciated...

FBM (FretBuzzMan)

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Does 15 x 2 = 30...?

Trust me, you're better off getting an A/B/Y footswitch and leaving your amps unmolested. And when you outgrow those Frontmans (or more likely they self-immolate and you hookshot them into a convenient dumpster) you'll find a use for that footswitch with your new rig.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Totally get that... but as a soon to be retired guy with time and idle hands... I still want to...

So the question remains... Can it be done...? suggestions for how...?

FBM

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I guess my initial opinion was too polite so I'll just say this......you're pissing in the wind.

If, as you assert, you're soon to be retired with ample time and idle hands why not just build a proper two-channel amp with 30 to 40 watts output? It's easier than you might think and you'll have a piece of gear that will likely outlast you.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

A)It cannot be done and
    B) If you're a hobby/bedroom player why do you need 30W?

Rule of thumb is always use the smallest amp you can.

What you should do if you need more power (?) is use a line out to a powered cab.

Not to mention, but the Frontman is not exactly the best sounding amp you'll ever use. It's basically a very low cost entry level amp to sell with cheap guitars.

There's a reason why you can pick them up used for $40 all day long.

Really, for home use consider a modeler, determine what style of amp works for you and then if you need an amp, buy one. DO you want Marshall, Vox, Ampeg, Fender sounds, etc. You'll need to discover your voice. It's a fun journey though.

Go to the music store and plug into a Princeton Reverb and then decide what you want to invest in the Frontmans.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 02-13-2024 at 08:58 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Really, for home use consider a modeler, determine what style of amp works for you and then if you need an amp, buy one.
    OK, I had to step in here. Understand, what I know about amps you could put in a thimble and have room left over. I have NEVER performed live with an amp. I've always used the house PA system. In fact, I think the house would be reluctant to let me use my own amplification. Which means I use an amp only when I'm home practicing.

Most of the experienced pros and gigging musicians here might look down their noses at "modeling' amps, but for me, these work great! And given the advances in technology, many of these amps are no larger than a lunch box! In my practice area, the amps I use are:

• Fender Champion 40
    • Line6 AMPLIFi 30
    • Positive Grid SPARK MINI
    • Positive Grid SPARK GO

The Champ is the closest I have to being a "real" amp. Forty watts, 1x12" speaker, with a host of built-in effects (no pedals needed). I currently use this when practicing bass. Since I'm not cranking it, I'm not worried about blowing the speaker.

I LOVE the AMPLIFi 30! It compares favorably with the Yamaha THR, with a little more power and some very cool speaker output. Sadly, Yamaha (who owns Line6) has discontinued the amp, so at some point it will become (more) unsupported, which is why I bought the SPARK MINI.

Positive Grid has really made a name for itself since debuting the SPARK 40. The MINI is a 5"x5"x6.5" cube that right now is sitting on my coffee table. USB rechargeable or DC-powered, its Bluetooth capability make it possible to adjust the models through a phone app, or double as a Bluetooth speaker. Even without the app, the MINI has three presets (rhythm, lead, solo) that cover a wide gamut of different effects you can adjust through your guitar's controls. I plug my acoustic-electric guitars into it, add a light touch of reverb, and it's an acoustic guitar amp! The GO is just a gig bag-sized edition of the MINI, and my neighbors were amazed last summer when I used it as a Bluetooth speaker during a block party!

Now, you may be driven more by a tinkerer's mindset, in which case none of the above will be of any help. But my intention was to reinforce the idea that in 2024, one doesn't have to stay stuck in the '60s in order to have a great practice experience!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!