Thread: Frankenstrat - is it a Strat?

Forum Member

Frankenstrat - is it a Strat?

i am trying to help a friend who was a professional musician, has some serious health issues and needs to raise some funds so i am selling off some of his equipment for him, most of which has been idle for some time.

One of the items is a vintage Tokai neck fitted on a Strat body. Not my area of expertise, but i have researched a fair bit and had no luck identifying a year, or if it is even a genuine Strat. He thought it was a MIM, but i don't think so.

The unbranded back plate is four screw numbered 14544, nothing in the trem housing or stamped in the cover plate. Body rubber-stamped as per photos, one of which i altered the contrast/colour. Not overly computer savvy and could not figure out how to put the pics here (note stated files too big), so i loaded them here (hope it works):

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

If anyone could provide some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Frankenstrat - is it a Strat?

Not really enough photos for a definitive analysis. Can you pull the pickguard and shoot some "under the hood" pics of the body? Detail shots of the pickups and wiring would also be helpful.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Not really enough photos for a definitive analysis. Can you pull the pickguard and shoot some "under the hood" pics of the body? Detail shots of the pickups and wiring would also be helpful.
    Thank-you for the quick reply.
    Was a little hesitant to pull that apart, but i will try and have a go at it a.s.a.p.

Forum Member

Apologies - forgot to add that the pickups apparently are Seymour Duncan.

If I were buying that Strat, with all of its mods and changes, it wouldn't matter much to me whether that's a Fender body or not. If it is an MIM body from a certain time, it'd be worth a pittance.

Look at reverb.com, and you'll see that Strats can be bought cheaply these days, some made in Mexico, some in an Asian country. So you might be able to sell the parts for as much as you could sell the guitar as a whole. Depending on which Duncan pickups those are, you might be able to get something from those.

Tokai necks: I have a friend who preferred an old Tokai neck to the 93 Fender American Standard neck he had on his and so replaced it. That neck might be attractive to a buyer.

But the other guys on this forum are more knowledgeable than I am, and they might have better advice for you. Good luck.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    If I were buying that Strat, with all of its mods and changes, it wouldn't matter much to me whether that's a Fender body or not. If it is an MIM body from a certain time, it'd be worth a pittance.

Look at reverb.com, and you'll see that Strats can be bought cheaply these days, some made in Mexico, some in an Asian country. So you might be able to sell the parts for as much as you could sell the guitar as a whole. Depending on which Duncan pickups those are, you might be able to get something from those.

Tokai necks: I have a friend who preferred an old Tokai neck to the 93 Fender American Standard neck he had on his and so replaced it. That neck might be attractive to a buyer.

But the other guys on this forum are more knowledgeable than I am, and they might have better advice for you. Good luck.

Thank-you.
    Not sure if i want to part it all out. My interest in ID'ing is more about not being fond of selling things that are not mine, so i would like to know as much about it as possible to pass along to perspective buyer. But i certainly will take your thoughts into consideration. Cheers.

The Tokai neck may be worth a little. If the pups are replaced along with the neck it's just another partscaster so it's probably worth more to part it out. The body contours look a bit janky but that may just be the lighting.

Good on you for helping a friend out.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The Tokai neck may be worth a little. If the pups are replaced along with the neck it's just another partscaster so it's probably worth more to part it out.

Good on you for helping a friend out.

Chuck
    Thanks.
    i was hoping the stamp on the bod was enough to rule on its origin, but if not, think i will let it go as is. Think there is a vintage Tokai Les Paul back there i can focus on.

i appreciate the replies.

Tokai Les Paul would be of interest to me.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Ok. i will confirm what he has and get back to you.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Friend said it is a MIM.

Anyway, decided to have a peek inside and added a few photos.
    i see a patent and made in USA on the switch.

Forum Member

Just spoke with the owner.
    Haven' seen it but hope to get over there in the near future.
    He states that it is an LS80 Golden Era.

Quote Originally Posted by edspaghetti View Post
    Friend said it is a MIM.

Anyway, decided to have a peek inside and added a few photos.
    i see a patent and made in USA on the switch.
    The body does appear to be a MIM standard Strat -- the import-spaced bridge and the humbucker routing are hallmarks of that series. The wiring is a real mess but the instrument looks appropriately dressed in its aged Oly White and tortoise-shell livery. I'd be loath to part it out if it played and sounded good. JMO.

Forum Member

I'm curious why a 500k tone pot, (both?), and what do the pot switches do, maybe bypass tone controls?

It's possible that the Seymore-Duncans require 500K pots.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It's possible that the Seymore-Duncans require 500K pots.
    I doubt that's the original pickguard. It looks to be basically a partscaster at this time. The push-pull pots are not required for single coils. The wiring is a hot mess but it may look like there are three conductor lead s coming off the pickups which would make them stacked humbuckers and explain the push-pulls.

But mostly, the wiring is definitely not Fender, so that's just a collection of S-style guitar parts flying in loose formation.

It' might be a fine player's grade guitar but it's one of those deals where it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Probably not much and it's likely worth more parted out. My number one is a similar situation. Makes lots of money but I'd be surprised if someone offered me $250 for it.

Chuck

Forum Member

Great information - helps a lot.
    Thank-you folks.

Forum Member

I doubt that's the original pickguard. It looks to be basically a partscaster at this time. The push-pull pots are not required for single coils. The wiring is a hot mess but it may look like there are three conductor lead s coming off the pickups which would make them stacked humbuckers and explain the push-pulls.

But mostly, the wiring is definitely not Fender, so that's just a collection of S-style guitar parts flying in loose formation.

It' might be a fine player's grade guitar but it's one of those deals where it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Probably not much and it's likely worth more parted out. My number one is a similar situation. Makes lots of money but I'd be surprised if someone offered me $250 for it.

Chuck

Spoke with the owner prior to receiving this information and he did acknowledge that, despite having a number of other guitars, this was, as you say, his number one. Haven't the heart to tell him about the wiring et al, or the resale.

{HIJACK}
    Every time I see this thread title I'm tempted to post a meme. I've given in to temptation.
    {/HIJACK}

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!