Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Have You Not Bought Guitar-Related in the Last 48 Hours

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: What Have You Not Bought Guitar-Related in the Last 48 Hours

That’s a nice price for a nice SS amp. I’d jump.
    Mark

I just passed on another Surf Green Strat that was priced right, in good shape, sounded terrific, but had vintage fret wire n a maple neck.

If it was rosewood, I have just re-fretted it, but I prefer maple. Oh well.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

After days of frustration trying to find a Maton 808TE Tommy Emmanuel, my efforts were finally rewarded today. Melbourne, Australia appears to be the home of Australian guitars, and I found not one but two terrific guitar shops. Thanks to the generosity of my tour group leader and his "touch on, touch off" transportation card, I found myself at both the northern and southern ends of Melbourne. My first stop, at Guitar Paradise, found my making friends with a fellow named Mack, who pretty much gave me free rein with the acoustics. I played a number of delightful guitars, Maton, Martin, Alvarez and another Australian brand, Cole Clarke. But no Tommy Emmanuel. After thanking Mack and getting his suggestion for a lunch stop, I then headed to Acoustic Centre, which they told me was the largest Maton dealer in Australia. Finally, I found the Tommy Emmanuel models! I played the 808TE and the 808TEC (cutaway). Great playing guitars! I pawed a nice 12-string and one or two others as well. The guitars were priced very nicely, too! Getting one back to the states proved to be the deal killer, as I couldn't carry it around with me on my travels, and the cost to ship would have made the cost savings a wash.

So, I did NOT buy a guitar today. I got pretty close, however.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!