Thread: The Sunday Thread for 2/4/24

The Sunday Thread for 2/4/24

I see no one has begun the Sunday thread, and I held off a bit because I have nothing to enlighten anyone's day with, but it needed starting, so here it is.

A typical cold, grey, Sunday with nothing special going for it. I see that Pluto TV is airing 50 Super Bowls in a marathon, and I just happened to turn on the one that hurt me the most. Super Bowl XVIII, where the Raiders whomped the Redskins 38-9. It is kinda cool to see the uniforms and equipment used then, though.

Still, if that's the highlight of this Sunday, it will be a pretty quiet, boring day. I hope yours is enjoyable.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for 2/4/24

Played last night, had some fun. Interestingly, the audience in this small town biker venue was full of Deadheads - so we were happy to accommodate them during the second set. Third set went back to you regular programming. Don't have to pick up a guitar until next Thursday so enjoying the break.

Better half is doing much better. Paxlovid - the side-effects are worse than the disease, lol! But she was very sick with a compromised immune system so it was still the smart move. Her cancer treatments were suspended until the blood clots and Covid were gone. Looks like she'll be back on track here shortly.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Played last night, had some fun. Interestingly, the audience in this small town biker venue was full of Deadheads - so we were happy to accommodate them during the second set. Third set went back to you regular programming. Don't have to pick up a guitar until next Thursday so enjoying the break.

Better half is doing much better. Paxlovid - the side-effects are worse than the disease, lol! But she was very sick with a compromised immune system so it was still the smart move. Her cancer treatments were suspended until the blood clots and Covid were gone. Looks like she'll be back on track here shortly.

Chuck
    OA, it is good to hear that your lady is doing a bit better. My wife was lucky when going through chemo and radiation in that she really suffered zero negative effects. If anything, she’d get this burst of energy with the only downer being from the benadryl she’d get before the chemo.

One of the biker gigs I played over the years was a real experience. We were on the usual flatbed trailer out in the middle of an isolated woods with the “wet t-shirt” (actually it became no clothes) contest going on as we set up. I spent four hours watching those people drink and cavort, stagger off to the side of the party area, puke up the beer, and then stagger back to begin again. I just about threw my gear into my truck to get out of there at the end of the night because I didn’t know if things would be getting out of control. Being a “patch-holder” myself at that time I was pretty aware of how things could possibly go.

Hope all have a great week!

bright sunny and chilly start today. Looks like we got an entire week coming up with no precipitation. Noice. Got adjusted on Monday, back is doing way better, I'm getting antsy to get exercising again. Made myself take the entire week off from working out. Missed out on a hockey game last night, just too much walking would have been involved. Did go to see a band last night because I found a nearby parking spot. Known them for a while, they added a new member and the old drummer was playing bass. Didn't expect that, thought the new guy was going to be the bassist. Good lively crowd, I was surprised at how busy downtown was. I had done a loop earlier and there was no parking to be had. Went back later hoping the diners would have finished and moved off and guess correctly.

The sun is setting after 5 PM, landmark day for me. Probably put my window lights back in storage if my back is up to it, otherwise I might leave them up for Super Bowl, the second most important holiday in the US

Got amps to shoot out, the DSL 401 and 201. Going to try their emulated DI outputs. I've used the 201's DI out and was suitably impressed. I never did use that feature on my previous 401, I was using mics and tape back then and didn't trust going direct in. Today with DAWs it's an entirely different game.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Mexican food last night in Winter Haven FL right next to the Historic Ritz Theater where Les Dudek played to a crowd of dedicated fans.
    Les grew up in Auburndale, the next town over, and there was a big turn out from his distant past. Really nice to see so many people my age+ supporting their friend through all these years. Great show among a warm and friendly audience.

Out for another bicycle ride today while I'm still in Tampa. Clocked 100 miles so far and looking to add a few more. Great start for 2024!

Chuck, glad to hear Janis is making progress. Good suff!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Good afternoon, friends.

chuck, I’m happy to hear that your wife is doing better! That really made my day better.

Had a great Saturday at the studio recording tracks for my next EP. I’m enjoying the process and the results are beginning to sound great. I had no idea I could play bass but it seems that the classical training made me find my way pretty fast. I recorded my own basslines using the studio guy’s 5 stringer. Used the Rick for the heavier guitar lines, the Schallers were a bit unreliable at first but I gave them a quick screw tightening and they stayed in tune for the rest of the session.

Drank my usual gallon of coffee this morning and headed to my parents’ for lunch and will spend the rest of the Sunday walking the dogs, watching Fast and Furious X (nice scenes in Rio de Janeiro btw) and a six-pack of Buds and pizza margherita await me in the evening.

Trip to Nashville yesterday to see my sister. She gave me a box of photos my mother had--framed portraits from as far back as the 1800s. WWII ration cards, Death assessment cards. Eyeglasses from the 1800s. I am friends with our county historians and plan to take some of the items around them for a "show and ask" session--not show-and-tell because I want to ask!.

We spent about 14 hours in the car yesterday. Not great for the arthritis. My bones and joints want to move to a new body. However, I'll have an active day and get in a walk. That'll oil my joints enough to make tomorrow easier.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison