Thread: Another Snowy Sunday???

Another Snowy Sunday???

Weather pukes predicting more snow later today - not much, though - just a couple inches. Had an exhausting day yesterday. I was scheduled to talk to city school board about the legal obligations of their role. The board is very divided politically (not "R"/"D" but two factions opposed to each other) and it got really ugly. We were suppose to start at 11:00 and they couldn't even get started until almost noon with all the bickering about "stuff". In 30 years of doing this work I never had such a challenge. While the day seemed to drag forever, I did get them to agree that it was in their best interest to keep trying to work together for the betterment of the 19,000 kids who are paying the price for their behavior, and they want me to keep working with them to do so.

Friday we worked on a new song in the studio - it turned out really well and I'm very pleased with the progress. We've got a couple new tunes almost ready for sharing...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Another Snowy Sunday???

staring down the barrel of yet another coastal storm, except this time my back is aching already. Something tweaked in my back Friday morning too late to get to my chiropractor before they shutdown for the weekend. Worst I've had in a real long time and I've never had a back ache with the type of hip displacement I'm currently living with after the break. new experience for me. do not recommend.

Also something happened to my left index finger earlier in the week when I stupidly drove my car without wearing gloves. All it takes is just a couple minutes of contact with a cold object like the steering wheel and it can be days and weeks before the ache finally stops. Tylenol doesn't touch it. Only thing that feels good is running hot water over the knuckle. Been doing that a lot every day and it appears to be helping. Played guitar yesterday afternoon for the first time all week.

couple of hand egg games today, wait for the snow to come. We're close to the snow/rain line and I'm praying for rain. Just looked outside and it's snowing. Merde.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

No snow in our forecast today. No Internet, either.

I lost connectivity yesterday around 2:30pm. Have you ever tried to get service from a telecom company? It's enough to make Mother Teresa swear!

After I did all my own troubleshooting, I knew the problem wasn't inside my house, but it took another six hours (and as many rep switchovers) to get them to realize it. So, now I am on schedule for a tech visit sometime within the next four hours. And I'm pretty certain all it's going to take is an ONT reset. Trouble is, I have an older system and the ONT is customer accessible. Good thing I have a wi-fi hotspot, which is what I'm using right now.

To make matters worse, I came down with my traditional winter cold Friday. So, a box of Kleenex handy, and all I really want is to sit back and enjoy some TV.

It makes me think of those days before the Internet. Oh, except that TV was still over-the-air. So, I'm back to reading books and practicing up for a performance on Tuesday, health permitting. I'm very glad I have an extensive collection of records and CDs, as that's been my entertainment yesterday and today. Maybe I'll have service restored by the time the handegg games start. I don't have a dog in the hunt, so it won't be a great letdown if I can't watch. Stay tuned...

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Thankfully had a free weekend.

It's been pretty challenging. Mrs. OSA has advanced cancer and has been in an experimental clinical research program. Seems to be working as tumors are shrinking. Still drains on her getting all the treatments.

She has been hospitalized with blood clots the last two weekends. We got her home on Tuesday but she immediately got a bad case of Covid. Most likely picked it up in the hospital. This is a real setback because she has missed her treatments and if she doesn't recover enough by the end of the week she can longer continue in the research program. That means straight to standard chemo, surgery and radiation.

She was put in blood thinners but since she now has to take Paxlovid they had to take her off her current blood thinner and I now have to give her injections twice daily of Heparin. I also need to clean and dress some wounds from her blood clot surgery and a slight infection. She can get around a little with a walker, thankfully.

And now I have Covid. Not too bad, just like a bad cold so far. I should be ready for action next weekend where we have an out-of-towner to play.

So, yeah, starting the new year off gangbusters, lol. Hey, won't be long the ice will be gone and the fish will be biting.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Sorry to hear of your esposa's troubles, Chuck.

My heartfelt wishes for a favorable prognosis and a place on my prayer list for her.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Oh wow, OSA. That sucks big time! My prayers out for your and the Mrs.

I now have Internet. Twelve hours after it went down. The tech came out, opened the box and saw there was no power going to the ONT. Yeah, no surprise there. But then he went and checked the power source and the GFI switch had popped. Never happened on this outlet before, but if one of the offshore techs had just suggested checking it...

Well, I'll be able to watch handegg after all.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Sure sorry to hear, OS, my "barber" has been fighting hers with chemo, but it was affecting her eyes, they've changed things, but it sure drains her. She sure is thin, and I know not feeling great!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Never happened on this outlet before, but if one of the offshore techs had just suggested checking it...
    If only you spoke fluent Urdu you could've asked him about it.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Chuck, best wishes for your better half. I hope the meds work wonders. Advanced cancer used to mean certain death, but I know quite a few who were there and who've been in remission for years. I hope your wife will be back to 100% asap.

I lost a good friend last week. He died suddenly of a pulmonary embolism. An expert photographer, he was kind to teach me some things. Just a couple of days before he died, he helped me to make a significant step forward with using a flash. He was an army brat who lived in Bremen, and we had a lot in common. He loved nature and the sea, and his photos of birds are second to none. I'm glad that I told him how grateful I was to him. In the end, he had friends and family who loved him, and we'll remember him for as long as we live.

Music wise. I had a blast playing bass last night--at home, alone. Played the Ric, the Fender J, the G&L JB5, and the Epiphone Explorer. 10 minutes each; it was a lot of fun to go through them. My hands were sore, but it was worth the pain.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

OA- best wishes for your wife!

Yesterday, my daughter and I replaced the sparkplugs, air filter, and adjusted the valves in her 2010 Honda Fit. If you've never replaced sparkplugs and adjusted the valves on one of these, it's a PITA! The sparkplugs and valve adjustment is simple enough. Removing the airbox, intake manifold, windshield wipers, cowling, windshield wiper motor, and cowl tray is the PITA. It took over an hour just to get where we could start the actual task.

We had a mix of rain and show here today. Mostly rain, luckily.

Best wishes for the missus, Chuck. I wish I could help in any way. I really do.

Chuck - so sorry to hear what's going on with the Mrs.. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Hey thanks Guys, appreciate the mojo. We'll get through it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Hey thanks Guys, appreciate the mojo. We'll get through it.

Apologize for laying my bummers on you.

Chuck

Wow, busy Sunday around here.
    Great news on the work related stuff and recording!
    Chuck, I am so sorry to hear about the Mrs.
    Seems the older we get, the more we're having to deal with these things. Hoping for a good outcome.

I'm in Tampa right now. Been here for a week bicycle riding, walking, and relaxing. Retirement stuff. Going to Winter Haven to catch Les Dudek play a show, then hang out some. Great guy. Lot's of fun to hang with.

Back home on the 6th.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Thanks Bob. I know it's not all about me but at this point in my life I'm starting to understand the concept of "survivors guilt". I mean, you know me. I've had more fun than any three people combined should be allowed to. I've laughed off so much from being at the controls, upside down and out of control to having knives and guns pulled on me, close encounters with sharks, waterspouts at sea, rolled cars over, you name it. And I've somehow managed to pick and grin my way through it all with a sh!t eatin' grin, a few minor scars and some great stories. Meanwhile, so many of those around me who led responsible lives have had to endure so much or left us.

I miss Mikey, he was so good at coaching me through things like this. Hell of a drummer too.

Chuck