Thread: What's your favorite 3 tone sb pattern?

Forum Member

What's your favorite 3 tone sb pattern?

I love the color of the original 60's sunburst strats. An inch or less of black, a bit more red, and that really nice yellowish orange. Man there's nothin like it, imo.

I don't like red in a sunburst, but saw some nice reissues that had just a hint of red, and the center was a translucent dark amber color that showed some nice wood grain. I liked it far better than the 60s opaque bullseye look -- I hate that.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I like sunbursts that have a gentle gradient. The triburst and two tone sunbursts don't do much for me. I've seen some really nice '50s strats with amazing 'burst jobs. For me it's all about the smooooooothness. :)

I like the one on the top of the page, light yellow, clear red, although I wouldn't mind a bit less red.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Forum Member
    I prefer the late 64' on 3-tone over the 59'-64' 3-tone.

Forum Member
    Bluester, me too. That's a great 3 tone. Jim, what's the diff between the late 64 and 59 to 64? Also, does a 3 tone strat have more value or should they be priced the same as other colors?

Forum Member
    rj52 from 59'-64' the three tone sunburst had the red a very deep red and starting in late 64'-65' the red took on more of an "orangish" hue.

A distict difference if you could put a 60' Strat next to a 65'.

In '64 they also started doing the target burst, which means spraying the yellow part of the sunburst. This way, the sunburst became less transparent anf Fender didn't have to be so picky with their choice of alder bodies.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Forum Member

bursts

I really like the '59-'61 "4 tone" burst. It goes from black, dark brown, brick red, golden yellow. Although you usually only get to see the 4 colors on the rear of the guitar. I also love the mid '50's "two tone" that is really black, dark brown, and golden yellow on ash.

Not to much red, and the yellow not to bright, that`s it.

I would love to have a `60 Sunburst Relic with the 2 Tone burst of the `56 Relic with just a little bit of red.

:rolleyes:
    Achim

Forum Member
    I like the way 58's look.

I love the "target" or "bullseye" bursts of the mid 60's. I realize I'm in the minority as most folks think them pretty ugly. Heck, they are ugly but that's why I love them! Does that make any sense?

Forum Member
    The one on my '62 AV Strat! :)

Forum Member

58 59 brownies all the way

The very faded out brownies from the 58 59 era
    with a hint of red. No BBQ burst for me thanks...

Forum Member

3tones in the 60s

The diff to my eye on those 60s bursts are they are real real yellow and the transitions are kind of cut and dry..
    The reason for that is the yellow on the 60s strats from 63 up I believe was sprayed over the sealer and not stained into the body. I think the reason for that was to hide the 2 piece body seams better and just opaque over any discrepencies.
    its fairly thick.imho.... look at the one above you can see its yellow shot right over sealed wood sealer yellow sealer black brown red and then
    I think they could spray a tint to warm it all. you can see the layers if you notice its worn through to yellow.then its wood under that but note the black brown and red all wore off or through to yellow you could sand it all off and have all yellow again and start over...If you did that the other way and messed up with a overspray or splatter in center guess what
    time to do it over again back to wood... birdshit droppings is what stevens calls it speckles of brown overspray in center you wont find that in his bursts...unless ya ask for it which has been done..

I ordered a 2-tone sunburst from Warmoth, but what I got looks more like a subtle 3 tone under the right lighting conditions.

http://akaelectron.tripod.com/c08.html