Thread: Don't Laugh...

Don't Laugh...

Yesterday, I realized I hadn't actually visited my local library in a while. Since it's only 1/2 mile from my home, I added it to my daily walk outing. Although I've been using their electronic services for years (at least since COVID), I am aware that they offer a lot more than I can download on my computer. So, I decided to roam around the stacks for a while and see what might interest me.

So, here's where it gets funny, and I invite you to add your own offerings: I checked out two books. Both of them were from the "... for Dummies" series: GarageBand for Dummies and Bass Guitar for Dummies. See? I asked you not to laugh.

Hey, they're loans from a library, not something for which I'm shelling out my own money. I've toyed with GarageBand before, but it's a pretty complex program, even for Mac users (maybe I should say "especially" for Mac users?). Turns out there's a new edition released just a few months ago, but again, it's a library loan.

There was another book for beginner bass on the shelf, but I actually liked the layout and structure of the Dummies book better.

When I checked them out, I told the nice librarian that now that I'm retired, I hoped to spend more time visiting. She welcomed my enthusiasm, but also suggested I not stop using the e-services. I won't.

Okay, on a slightly more serious note, I actually have found a lot of value with some of the Dummies books. I remember a business trip I took to Switzerland back in the 1990s and packed the "Oracle 7 for Mac for Dummies" (long out of print) which included a CD with the software, and I spent time learning the program. I later became an Oracle Certified Professional, so it was a good starting point for me.

Why did I title this thread "Don't Laugh...?" Probably because it's a personal quirk of mine: I don't like thinking of myself as a dummy.

But as I've gotten older, I've begun to realize how much of a dummy I really am.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Don't Laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

But as I've gotten older, I've begun to realize how much of a dummy I really am.

That's the first part of getting smarter!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I learned to juggle using a Dummies book (actually, it was a Klutz book)! It only took a couple of hours (I've since forgotten how).

I took a Garageband course on a few Saturday mornings at the local Guitar Center about 10 years ago. I've forgotten how to use that as well!

Hey, I’ve learned a lot about photography with a dummies book. I need to review it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I guess we don’t need any “dummy” books because we’re not looking for any “how-to” books.

My wife hits the local library for books to read (now she’s into “Killers of the Flower Moon”) and as a great source for DVDs (we get around six per week). We’ll talk about a film or editorial, request it from the local library, and a week later we watch them. Who needs paid tv services, eh?

In 2020, I was off work and read over 100 books, including the unabridged War & Peace. Ironically, now that I've begun to make my living by writing again, I get little time to read. Ironic that writing is getting in the way of my reading. I read a lot of fiction, but I have some choice rock and roll books to read. McCartney's books about lyrics, a book about Clapton's guitars, Jimmy Page's Anthology, Roger Daltrey's autobio, and two books about George Harrison supposed to be good.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison