Thread: When find the SOBs that -

When find the SOBs that -

Keep using duct tape or gaffers tape on stages to "manage" their cables, there's going to be some very harsh language.

Yet another night of things sticking to the floor, almost tripping several times. Why-oh-why do people do this?

I mean first, it's almost the year 2024. Why are you using corded mics in the first place, and if you are, why not just run the snake to the breakout at the front of the stage where the monitor cables run?

Second, if you do insist on taping stuff down, CLEAN THE EFF UP AFTER YOURSELF. Use some dang diddly darned lighter fluid to clean that ship up.

Third, if you want to be tripping over all your taped cables, use your own floor covering, dipwads.

The level of inconsiderate and amateurish BS from bands is getting way the heck out of control lately, and seems to be getting worse and worse as these millennial and GenX metal wannabees become more and more prevalent. This is the sort of BS that makes venues stop booking bands, when we have to ask them to clean the stage floor before we can set up or put our carpets down.

Rant over until next time.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: When find the SOBs that -

I don’t find any sticky residue when using pro gaffer’s tape.

We use gaffer's tape all the time. At our church, we rent out the upstairs conference rooms, and we're always taping electrical extension cords to tables (everyone has to have a laptop these days!) and to overhead projectors. Easy to apply, easy to remove and no mess left behind.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I've been using Gaffer's tape for like 10 years now, and never saw any sticky stuff left behind on the stages.

Back when I used those big pedalboards with Voodoo Lab style power supplies the size of a brick and power cables, line extensions and whatever else, Gaffer's tape was a staple in my gigging backpack. I just coouldn't get my stuff together without it. But like I said, I never left any mess behind.

Maybe the guys that play in the same venues as you use real bad tape brands, Chuck.

Or maybe they're using electrical tape rather than gaffer's tape? They look similar, but electrical tape is typically narrower. It does leave a massive sticky residue when removed...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Gaffer's tape is a modern miracle

You would hate gigging with me. For what we get paid and I provide our own band sound.....I'm not taping anything. It's only there for a couple of hours and I run it fairly tidy. That said....if I'm running someone else's band sound.....pretty much the same unless it's paying appropriately.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

"A floor strip with two foot pedals and seven switches, labeled "Mutron, Oct, Boss, Wah, Dist, Phase, Delay," sits in front of Garcia's vocal microphone. It is secured to the worn Afshar-style stage carpet with gaffer's tape, the unique product of a small New Hampshire company, which is the secret ingredient that binds together all live rock and roll."
    (Dennis McNally)

I used to buy mine from a small supplier called "Roadie Store", pretty good stuff. still got a roll left that will go a long way.

It's kind of a roady thing on tour to keep all the used gaffer's tape in a big ball. When they clear the stage they collect all the used tape and apply it to the ball-o-tape. It's seen as a reminder of all the work that was done on the tour.

Of course, NOBODY were as good at it as the Grateful Dead, and the ball of tape became known as "Allen" and was so big it needed to be moved by forklift, and was even stored in the warehouse between tours.

But yeah, leaving tape or sticky stuff behind is pretty hack.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Maybe there's a kind of gaffer tape that doesn't leave residue. In the 90s, somebody used my guitar stand as a mic holder and taped my mic stands too. I was never able to get all the stuff off of them. I eventually replaced them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I use Velcro straps to keep the stage cables neat and orderly.

No duct tape allowed, ever.

Am I alone in this?
    Am I alone?

TFF Stage Crew

Gaffer's tape was not created as a long-term solution for securing things. You use it for a performance & then you pull it up.
    That being said, when you are removing it, care must be taken that the adhesive side does not touch itself. If it does, it's game over. Or anyway you'll need to sit down & patiently pull it apart. If it curls in & touches over a couple feet you might as well buy a new cord. Naphtha might help, but who's got the time for that?

This roll has been in my gig backpack for at least 7 years now. I’ve used it for a variety of purposes, including organizing cables on stage, hold backup picks strategically, fix stuff… no residue issues whatsoever.

Never had a single problem with it, residue included. It’s especially easy to rip with your fingers
    to desired length.

And it’s a Brazilian made tape. Didn’t cost much but wasn’t cheap either. It does the job just fine, so I guess the good American stuff does too. Now, duct tape is NOT gaffer’s tape.