Thread: New (kinda) Tele Day

New (kinda) Tele Day

I had one of these few years back. traded it for a Les Paul and immediately regretted it. have been shopping around for another. found one a few weeks ago. 2017 Deluxe Exotic series, limited edition. the Shawbuckers sounded great but I threw some Kingfish Humbuckers in ...

"Early morning sunshine tells me all I need to know"

Re: New (kinda) Tele Day

Interesting, I find Shawbuckers to set really, really good in a mix. Plenty of top end sparkle and cut. What didn't you like about them?

I've played all of them, PAFs, Burstbuckers, Dirty Fingers, 490R/490T, T-Tops, Tarbacks (before the wires break!), Super Distortions, you name it. I thought the Shawbuckers were a really nice match.

I've seen some people confuse Wide Rangers for Shaws too, even though they look nothing alike.

What's your rig and style?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My tastes say that color combination is the absolute most attractive on a Tele. I've thought a lot about doing a build like that on Warmoth. I'm a lefty, so it's impossible to get that model for me.

Congrats on a great looking, and I'm sure, great sounding guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    My tastes say that color combination is the absolute most attractive on a Tele.
    +1

Very dramatic, makes a serious visual statement!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I like the Deadly Mantis poster. I'm a cult follower of 50's SciFi.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    +1!

Them......The Thing From Another World......Invaders From Mars......The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms......War Of The Worlds. I like 'em all.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Interesting, I find Shawbuckers to set really, really good in a mix. Plenty of top end sparkle and cut. What didn't you like about them?

I've played all of them, PAFs, Burstbuckers, Dirty Fingers, 490R/490T, T-Tops, Tarbacks (before the wires break!), Super Distortions, you name it. I thought the Shawbuckers were a really nice match.

I've seen some people confuse Wide Rangers for Shaws too, even though they look nothing alike.

What's your rig and style?

Chuck
    Chuck,
    yea I really love the sound of the Shawbuckers that came with the Tele. I think they sound great, and as you described. I had a few gigs where I got a little squealing from them, when I'd step on the boost but I adjusted that out ... by the 3rd gig I thought they sounded so good I was planning on returning the Kingfish pu's when I got them. then I figured why not try the Kingfish pickups. I really like them. I'm keeping the Shawbuckers just in case I decide to swap them back. I've toyed around with the idea of putting together a 2nd pickguard withthe Shawbuckers & dropping that in from time to time ... it was the unpotted squealing that made me initially order the other pickups. I primarily play blues & blues rock. I don't use much gain, moderate gain. use either a Orange TH30 head with a couple 1x12 Orange cabs, or a Fender Super Sonic 22 combo with an additional 1x15 cab.

lol, I freakin' love that movie. I love the old classics & not so classics ...

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1!

Them......The Thing From Another World......Invaders From Mars......The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms......War Of The Worlds. I like 'em all.
    yes, I could rattle them off. I love those flicks. have since I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
    use either a Orange TH30 head with a couple 1x12 Orange cabs, or a Fender Super Sonic 22 combo with an additional 1x15 cab.
    I'll bet that sounds Righteous! I can hear the Iceman right now.

Chuck

I'll bet that sounds Righteous! I can hear the Iceman right now.

Chuck
    ah man, every gig while soloing, I have him on my mind. trying to let the song breathe, pick my shot, not fill every space with a note ... I loved Albert Collins. and I 100% agree with you about the Shawbuckers. they sound beautiful. I struggled with swapping them out for the Kingfish's, but they sound great in their own right. but we'll see, knowing me, I might swap them back out. or like I said, wire up a second pickguard lol.