Thread: Fender Telecaster Noiseless Pickups problem

Forum Member

Fender Telecaster Noiseless Pickups problem

Hello,
    I have a modern mexican telecaster that came with vintage noiseless pickups, during a bridge conversion from the modern 6 saddle type bridge to a vintage 3 saddle bridge I somehow messed up the bridge pickup which caused it to no longer work :(

I replaced the bridge pickup with a fender super55 split-coil noiseless bridge pickup which has caused some issues. When I installed the Super55 the middle position was out of phase (honky sounding and much quieter than the 1st and 3rd position). I then googled that issue and learned that reversing the polarity of the neck pickup can fix the out of phase issue, so I did that by reversing the two wires from the switch and the volume pot and changing the ground of the pickup cover to the other side of the pickup (the pickup cover was originally wired to the black ground wire and I basically switched it to be connected to the yellow wire which is now the ground). After reversing the polarity of the pickup the middle position is no longer out of phase, but now I seem to have a grounding issue. When I tap the neck pickup with a screwdriver I get a tap sound but with scratchiness, also when I rub the scratchplate I get scratchy noises and also when I jiggle the switch back & forth in the middle position also scratchiness (these noises are not there when wired normal with the out of phase issue). I tried just reversing the pickup cover back to being grounded to the black wire and have the same scratchiness issues.

I have a photo that shows the changes I made but not sure how to post photos here

I've tried to find a matching super55 neck pickup for the super55 bridge pickup but apparently they're no longer available :( so I'm trying to make what I have work right, if possible, before I go and buy a new set of pickups.

I know its kind of an oddball pickup configuration, but I'm hoping maybe someone here might have some experience with the vintage noiseless pickups that can shed some light on what I may have done wrong when changing the pickup cover ground around.
    Last edited by tjg8675; 12-07-2023 at 09:49 PM.

Forum Member

Re: Fender Telecaster Noiseless Pickups problem

If you reverse the leads, you also need to remove the connection tieing the black wire to pickup ground. You may be able to tie the yellow to the ground, or I would suggest adding a separate wire and making that "ground".