Thread: Shure SM58 varieties:

TFF Stage Crew

Shure SM58 varieties:

I started shopping for mic & decided to look into another SM58. Mine's probably 15 yrs old & still works fine.
    But now there are at least two different kinds & maybe more.
    Does anyone have any experience &/or preferences with these?
    Thx

Re: Shure SM58 varieties:

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I started shopping for mic & decided to look into another SM58. Mine's probably 15 yrs old & still works fine.
    But now there are at least two different kinds & maybe more.
    Does anyone have any experience &/or preferences with these?
    Thx
    Cogs, I like the beta series but in this day and age I need to ask, are you going wireless? For a performer wired mics are a real PITA.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

No, not wireless. Just old-school corded mic

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Before you jump, let me get home and see what I have. The owner of the music store I consult (who’s also the lead singer of the most popular local band) turned me onto one. Sounds great. Give me an hr or so. For 57s I preferred Betas. This sounds better. Same price point.
    Mark

I love the Beta 58 - worth the extra couple bucks.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Cogs.....if you stay in the mic and not back a foot or so
    ....and primarily use it for vox.....and do live work where feedback can be an issue.....consider trying an audix om5 or 7. The om5 is close in sound and rejects feedback better. It's a little richer sounding and similar price point although a little more. I work with some guys also who use senheiser 835 and 845. Also good choices. I have like 12 sm58s and always look for good used ones when people are selling local. Nothing wrong with a 58 or like nick said...a beta 58. I have 2 of those also.....
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I carry a Beta 57 and Beta 58 in my gig bag since they are borderline indestructible. The 57 is for the amp, the 58 for vocals.

Honestly, the only reason I use the Beta's is they are a different color and it's easier to not have them get away during teardown.

But agreed, there are better mics than 58's. If the vocals really matter I'll use a ribbon.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Back when we were playing I set us up with EV DS-35's, really great sound, but sensitive, and tough to "ring in" a new room. I had a set of Shure 57's I had used for my drums in our R&R band in my case but wasn't needing them for our country band. Good thing, as we ended up in Arizona without the mic case with the EV's, I managed to get us all set with the "instrument" mics, and was surprised how easy setting up the room was! I like the 57's for my voice, but I picked up a few 58's for the girls, my wife also liked the 57 better. Getting together in each other's living rooms we don't need much PA anymore, but still use the Shures!
    A couple of years ago, I put the DS-35's on CL, and sold them for more than I paid for them when money was worth more!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Here’s the corded mic I prefer now

https://seelectronics.com/products/v7-mk/
    Mark