Thread: Is Pine that weak?

Forum Member

Is Pine that weak?

I need this settled, I’ve been getting conflicting responses but I have a Classic Vibe telecaster that’s made from pine. Based on how heavy it is and the color I’m assuming it’s southern yellow pine. I keep hearing how pine is light and soft and is a bad wood to use, but again this guitar is pushing 9lbs, it does dent and scratch easy but it feels like a rock. Longevity and durability is important to me since learning about the disadvantages of pine it makes me want to trade or sell it for an alder body. Cause again the lifespan of the guitar is very important to me. Will my Pine body tele live as long as me? Am I overthinking this?

Re: Is Pine that weak?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtross1297 View Post
    I need this settled, I’ve been getting conflicting responses but I have a Classic Vibe telecaster that’s made from pine. Based on how heavy it is and the color I’m assuming it’s southern yellow pine. I keep hearing how pine is light and soft and is a bad wood to use, but again this guitar is pushing 9lbs, it does dent and scratch easy but it feels like a rock. Longevity and durability is important to me since learning about the disadvantages of pine it makes me want to trade or sell it for an alder body. Cause again the lifespan of the guitar is very important to me. Will my Pine body tele live as long as me? Am I overthinking this?
    The pine body may dent and ding easier than some other woods, but it'll outlive you as well as a guitar made out of any other kind of wood. It's not unusual for solid body guitars to be made of pine. Early Fender prototypes were and it's been popular in recent years.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Pine is strong enough that houses are built with it.
    Mark

Pine Telecasters are awesome.

I had one, but I sent it to the widow of a good friend of mine who perished in a helicopter crash, years ago.

I think pine gets a bad reputation from whenever it's used for furniture, and especially table tops.

Your little kid does his homework on the dining room table, and the pencil being applied to paper leaves the impression of the vowels on consonants in the table top surface.
    Soft on the surface.

Am I alone in this?
    Am I alone?

Once it gets the Fender gloppy poly coating it's bulletproof. Basswood is even softer and works great and nobody complains.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Pine is strong enough that houses are built with it.
    +1

Even treehouses!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."