Thread: The Sunday Thread for October 22, 2023

The Sunday Thread for October 22, 2023

OK, it's late in the morning, and since many of my posts are like reading War And Peace, someone else will probably have begun one before I finish. Sigh.

I spent yesterday with my family who treated me to a birthday lunch. My granddaughter takes dance lessons and her school participated in the town Halloween parade. A gorgeous Autumn day! Since I have nowhere to be now, I didn't get home until nearly dark.

Someone said that a week being retired is like having six Saturdays and one Sunday. Yep!

Today is Sunday. So, it will be like every Sunday for me: Church, lunch, then some guitar playing and reading and maybe a little football. Tomorrow will be Saturday again, so no worries, no hurries.

Be well, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for October 22, 2023

Part of me looks forward to retirement, but part of me isn't quite ready. Hopefully I'll know when it's time (but before it's too late). I had a colleague who retired as a school superintendent (after around 40 years in the business) who agreed to do policy work for us for around 5 years. He stayed 25 years. I remember asking him, "When is it going to be time?" His reply was that the job gave him purpose. A week later he had a heart attack. They restarted his heart three times in the ambulance and when it hit, he fell and his head and they feared brain damage. It took months for him to recover, but he finally took it as a sign and retired. I saw him recently and he finally agreed that he loves being retired.

Enjoy your retirement!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Spent yesterday on the bass boat with a good fishing buddy. Wind was blowing and it was in the high 40's but we managed a good day out of it after a slow start.

Have a string of out-of-town shows coming up again. Love the guys I play with, we're more a family than a band at this point. We all have some side-peach going on musically but when we all get together it just works. It's the perfect mix of great buds who are solid musicians. About all any player can ask for and I consider myself fortunate.

Gonna settle in this AM with maybe a little wake-n-bake and then watch the football.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

We got together yesterday for my wife's annual family kermis where foods like chicken booyah and Belgian pies are enjoyed along with many other dishes from that heritage. It is always a fun time getting together with her family.

This morning it is a bright, sunny 37° day here behind the Cheddar Curtain so we're going to be off to breakfast on the Harley. The last few days have been rain, rain, and more rain so this ride will really be enjoyed.

Hope all have a great week!

colors busting out all over here. sold a guitar this week, turned out the buyer lived in Seabrook and there's a plzza place there I haven't gone to in ages. Since it was only 20 minutes past my usual 30-minute meet and greet distance, and did I mention pizza? I decided to meet him at the pizza place's parking lot. Got paid and then bought 4 slices. mmm. yummy. Just as good as I remembered. Cristaldi's. If you're ever on the NH Seacoast during the season, i recommend it. Square Sicilian style served red, add cheese and pepperoni. So good. Turns out they close next week for the winter.

Trying very hard to avoid GAS, hell, trying to avoid spending at all. So far I managed to avoid going out to eat or drink. Gotta make this moolah last a good long while. The weather helped me in that regard by raining on Friday and Saturday nights so I didn't go out.

Back to the foliage, the week before I had gone north to Lebanon and was quite underwhelmed by the color change. Not so on the trip to the coast this week. Wow. Even my backyard is way more colorful than I expected. By Halloween, I bet 90% of it will be gone. Speaking of Halloween, it's on a Tuesday and that's an open mic at a little tavern I like. Should be an interesting night and I'm making it my one night of the month that I'll go out.

Dug out my partscaster last night. Needs a truss rod tweak. Have to decide to try to sell it whole or part it out. MJT body LPB. Noticed the nitro finish was beginning to check. I bought it over 5, nearly 6 years ago. I never installed strap buttons and that may push me to part it out rather than try to sell it built. Plus I can retain the neck that I purpose bought for the project.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Going to watch MotoGP from Philip Island Australia.
    Working on a new approach for song writing. The "utterance." Greg Kin Band - uh uh uh - uh uh uh uh uh.
    I have never written any utterance into any of my songs and feel like it's time, LOL!

Walked 4 miles this morning and contemplating bicycle riding 100 miles this week. The weather is going to be warm and I'll hit 1400 miles this season if I do it. Good enough reason for me!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Girlie and I took a trip to Cumberland Mountain in Crossville, TN this weekend. Great to get away and spend some time in the woods. The leaves had changed, and nature was showing off like a peacock. I was born with one foot in the city and the other in the country. Enjoyed taking photos of the flora but didn't get anything of the fauna.

Last night, we went to see Joe Bonamassa. He's a great guitar player. I can't get into him, and that's not because of anything he lacks. Just doesn't work for me. A blues master, Joe, who owns 500+ guitars, just didn't win me over with his tone. However, everyone in the hall loved him, and my complaint is simply my subjective opinion. I wish I'd enjoyed it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison