Thread: Calling pedal building experts (or even non-experts...)

Calling pedal building experts (or even non-experts...)

so I got a Klone kit off ebay a ways back, and finally got around to building it.
    It seemed to go well - I've had soldering experience, but no pedal building experience, so I don't know exactly what each component does, except in the most broad terms.
    So it powered up fine on first shot, (woohoo!) but when I plugged it in, the sound is muffled / muted (not completely, but much quieter than without the pedal in line, even with it off. It seems to work, though again much quieter than without - I can hear some distortion when I turn the pedal and the amp up when on versus bypassed.
    What should I be looking at first for troubleshooting? I did go though and i believe all the solder joints look good, there aren't any bridged joints that I can tell. There may be a couple not filled all the way, but they don't move at all when I jiggle the component.
    I also have a Stew-Mac King of Tone clone kit waiting in the wings, but I want to get this running first. (assuming I didn't destroy something inadvertantly in building.)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Re: Calling pedal building experts (or even non-experts...)

Pics?

Here's a couple pics - as good as I can get.

"Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Second pin from bottom left is not soldered. Also check polarity correct on electrolytics.

Finally, the Klon should be called the "Con" because it basically does nothing. It's a true testament to the power of the internet. As far as I can tell all it is a highly de-featured volume and tone control.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Second pin from bottom left is not soldered. Also check polarity correct on electrolytics.

Finally, the Klon should be called the "Con" because it basically does nothing. It's a true testament to the power of the internet. As far as I can tell all it is a highly de-featured volume and tone control.

Chuck
    I saw a YouTube video where JHS Pedals switched between an original Klon (gain maxed) and a Digitech Bad Monkey with an A/B pedal. Couldn’t tell a difference. 😂

Building pedals can be fun though. I built a Rat clone years ago and it sounds great.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    I saw a YouTube video where JHS Pedals switched between an original Klon (gain maxed) and a Digitech Bad Monkey with an A/B pedal. Couldn’t tell a difference. 😂

Building pedals can be fun though. I built a Rat clone years ago and it sounds great.
    All guitar players should be issued a RAT at birth.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I see quite a few joints that are either lacking solder or have very little solder. I'd look at each joint with a loupe or magnifier and a bright light and make sure they're all complete and shiny.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I see quite a few joints that are either lacking solder or have very little solder. I'd look at each joint with a loupe or magnifier and a bright light and make sure they're all complete and shiny.
    +1

Double-check each with a multimeter.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."