Thread: The Sunday Thread for October 1, 2023

The Sunday Thread for October 1, 2023

Yikes! It's October already!

Good Sunday to everyone. Last week I was at a men's retreat. Today, I'm looking at the countdown to my retirement. Two weeks and two days to go. Then, every day will be like Sunday! In fact, I have no business activities on my calendar from now until then, but I'm pretty sure they're going to want me to work with my replacement, who begins the job tomorrow. I hope two weeks is enough time for him to get up to speed. If not, well, not my problem...

Today is the last day of the regular baseball season. My team isn't going into the post-season, but they did better this year than last, so the rebuilding effort statistically, is working. I may or may not follow the trail to the World Series, but I don't really care for the teams that are headed that way. Football has lost its allure for me, so I think I'll keep my library card warm.

Church, lunch, some practice on my guitar and some reading. A relaxing Sunday ahead for me. I wish the same for everyone else, too.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for October 1, 2023

Happy Sunday!!! Had a visit from a bear last night - walked right across the front porch around 8:30 last night. It seems to be part of his pattern. Spent Friday in the studio - worked on a different tune - would have fit in perfect when we played in the church folk group. If you are familiar with the story, "Footprints in the Sand", this is a musical interpretation. I plan on having it sung at my funeral (someday - hopefully not soon!!!). I couldn't really do anything with it until I got a female vocalist who could sing it - finally found her, so here we are... the final chorus blows me away every time I listen to it! https://soundcloud.com/user-78574690...ont-walk-alone . Was supposed to work yesterday, but the superintendent forgot to post the meeting so it got cancelled. I was looking forwrd to the training, but wasa glad to have a day off!

Happy Birthday, Offshore Angler!!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I spent 4 1/2 hours Friday trying to get my neurologist's office, Medicare, plan G insurance, Optum Specialty Pharmacy, and a medical center all on the same page so that I might have an infusion I need which is now 3 weeks past due. I can't believe I actually had to coordinate all of this myself because none of them were talking with each other. Everything is broken!

Spent a few hours writing a guitar solo I really dig for my recording session tomorrow, but I can't play it well! May have to simplify it further. Going to work on that some more today.

Then, it's time for MotoGP from Motegi Japan. These guys are faster than F1 cars and there are NO STUPID FRICKIN' PIT STOPS! You always know who's leading and who's working their way up from the back of the pack.
    I would actually watch F1 if they would drop the stupid pit stops.

Rounding up a bunch of gear for a guitar show next month. I've been accumulating used gear for a couple years now and looking to sell it all at the show. Lots of work, but it always goes well!

Busy Busy! Feels good!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Did church this AM. They were using the patches I created for the Helix systems. Odd as I had on the agenda to tweak them some. Got the new docking station installed (the other died) and tweaked the patches. Tweaked the amp gain settings and delays for the guitar patches. Tweaked shimmer effects for the bass patches. Will see about getting them uploaded to the 3 units at that church this week.

Took last week and this week off from playing due to some commitments and anny plans. Will be heading to a get together later today with one of the groups I play with. Thinking about bringing the 71 D-28. Yeah it needs a neck reset, but it plays well in the 1st 5 positions and sounds great.

Also got the urge to finish a Tele build I started some years ago. Created a list of what is needed. Most expensive is a bridge. Everything else is all the $10 and under stuff. Body, neck, tuners, neck work, and pups are already done.

Starting a PT contract gig on Mon as well.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Happy Sunday!!! Had a visit from a bear last night - walked right across the front porch around 8:30 last night. It seems to be part of his pattern. Spent Friday in the studio - worked on a different tune - would have fit in perfect when we played in the church folk group. If you are familiar with the story, "Footprints in the Sand", this is a musical interpretation. I plan on having it sung at my funeral (someday - hopefully not soon!!!). I couldn't really do anything with it until I got a female vocalist who could sing it - finally found her, so here we are... the final chorus blows me away every time I listen to it! https://soundcloud.com/user-78574690...ont-walk-alone . Was supposed to work yesterday, but the superintendent forgot to post the meeting so it got cancelled. I was looking forwrd to the training, but wasa glad to have a day off!

Happy Birthday, Offshore Angler!!!!
    GJ, enjoyed your recording! I think the female singer has a great timbre in her voice and would have loved hearing the two of you do a harmony section or two in your recording sort of like this in “When Something Is Wrong With My Baby”.

Took the Corvette out for a breakfast run and did a fun little cruise with the top down to enjoy a little of this early fall Wisconsin sunshine.

Yesterday, I drove to Nashville to take a 5 generation pic of my girlfriend's family. We chose the Parthenon in Nashville. All of my life, I've been drawn to Centennial Park. Feeding ducks and even catching fish when I was a kid. Later in college, I went there to read Greek and Roman lit because it seemed a fitting thing.

If you're not aware of it, Nashville has a replica of the Parthenon. At the celebration of Nashville's Centennial Celebration, they erected a plaster copy of the Acropolis. That was during a time when there was a Greco-Roman revival and explains why so many men were given names such as Cornelius, Augustus, Octavius, etc.

Eventually, the plaster buildings fell apart. So they commissioned a scholarly, full-scale, permanent replica of the Parthenon, complete with friezes. And in the late 80s, the Nashville artist Adam LeQuire built a 43-ft tall statue of Athena, which towers within the Parthenon.

I've always loved the place. Before it fell apart, they had a Christmastime Nativity Scene that was lit up and we thought was magical. In the 60s, we used to go watch the long-haired and loved-beaded Vanderbilt students throwing Frisbees and celebrating the youth movement. We played on the old train they'd parked there and examined a fighter jet they'd set up. A magical place.

In the 70s and early 80s, there were still woodsy areas. I worked across the street and used to take toke breaks over there. I went to Shakespearean and Greek plays there, threw out a blanket, or rode my bicycle in the park.

It's a wonderful place--stay away from downtown and all the tourist crap in Nashville--that's not real Nashville, but Centennial Park is.

These are some pics I took yesterday of the Parthenon. Notice the urn in the side shot of the columns. The Greeks were amazing.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

beautiful day today, although I'm not much for going outside these days. Just spent a lot of time paying bills, had a slight scare with the computer gremlins. Which reminds me to do a backup today, right after I get done posting here. Need to hit the grocery store. Football game on but I haven't watched any yet. Need to do other stuff.

Bro just offered to go get water and beer at the store, so I don't really have to go now. Yay. What other stuff I want can wait until tomorrow. Might plug in while he's out. The last couple of days have seen uptick of playing. Nephew picked up guitar last night, I played it Friday, yesterday I played the strat. Still limited in range of motion for my hip, I'm dying to cross my legs and play like I used to. Working on PT, trying to get more strength in my right leg. It tries to buckle when I walk without a cane so not quite there yet.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    GJ, enjoyed your recording! I think the female singer has a great timbre in her voice and would have loved hearing the two of you do a harmony section or two in your recording sort of like this in “When Something Is Wrong With My Baby”.

Took the Corvette out for a breakfast run and did a fun little cruise with the top down to enjoy a little of this early fall Wisconsin sunshine.

Nice tune. We're working on more stuff...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

We just got back from 8 days in Cancun. We had an awesome time! It's good to be home. Kinda.

I wonder if the Greeks used nets to keep the pigeons out too.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We just got back from 8 days in Cancun. We had an awesome time! It's good to be home. Kinda.
    Had a couple great trips to Cancun over the years. Wondered abour security nowadays, but back then we'd ride the bus right into town to go shopping, starting with a case of bottled water at Sam's Club!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Had a couple great trips to Cancun over the years. Wondered abour security nowadays, but back then we'd ride the bus right into town to go shopping, starting with a case of bottled water at Sam's Club!
    Sam's Club. Now there's some real Mexican authenticity!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I wonder if the Greeks used nets to keep the pigeons out too.
    Hahaha. Maybe that’s where the idea originated. Not sure if they had time between worshipping the gods and holding circle jerks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison