Thread: 5f1 curcuit amp static-y after an hour or so

Forum Member

5f1 curcuit amp static-y after an hour or so

I have a 5F1 champ kit amp in a 1 x 10 Princeton cabinet. After about an hour of playing it gets pretty static-y. Seems to get better if I stick it against a wall but not always.

Any ideas what to do? Clean the tube sockets? With what? Already swapped tubes, didn’t really help.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: 5f1 curcuit amp static-y after an hour or so

Could be a carbon composite resistor heating up? Is it a hissing sound? You could try starting it out cold, and using a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up various sections of the board to narrow it down.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I took it in to get looked at. Of course they couldn’t find anything. �� He did say that he tweaked some of the wire routing, specifically mentioning the tube heater wires. Been fine since I brought it home thankfully. He could tell it was a Weber kit and was complimentary of my work, so that made me feel good.

Risked sending it in with new Tung Sol tubes instead of sending it in with my good NOS tubes. Broke the plastic alignment pin on the 6V6 pulling it back out to put an RCA back in so that’s $50 wasted.

Honestly the Tung Sol 6V6 sounded pretty good. Also reconfirmed my preference for a 5751, it was fuzzy with the 12AX7, though that may or may not get better with a NOS 12AX7.

Forum Member

I know you don't need 6, but you save the tube!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152149115670

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I know you don't need 6, but you save the tube!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152149115670
    D’oh!!! Already chucked. I’d have saved it if I’d known about these. May get some anyways just in case, thanks Bill!!