Thread: Good String Bending?

Forum Member

Good String Bending?

One thing I’ve noticed when practicing songs utilizing string bending is that it’s mind numbingly easy to somehow play unwanted notes/strings. Only thing I can think of to mitigate is to somehow mute the strings close to the target string/note.

Is this common practice or do I just suck and need to practice string bending more? The answer I think is both.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Good String Bending?

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    One thing I’ve noticed when practicing songs utilizing string bending is that it’s mind numbingly easy to somehow play unwanted notes/strings. Only thing I can think of to mitigate is to somehow mute the strings close to the target string/note.

Is this common practice or do I just suck and need to practice string bending more? The answer I think is both.
    Your answer is the truth. Muting "neighbor" strings --if you are able-- will allow you to play the unmuted strings with more clarity and attack. But nothing will get you there "mo' better" than practice. Practice. Practice.

(Incidentally, I suffer from "unwanted string" syndrome too, on occasion. It usually happens when I'm not giving my playing 100% of my attention.)
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

The issue you describe is often but not always associated with improper wrist postion.

I would focus on two things b3efore that:

1) Make sure you are bending to pitch. Use your tuner to get your ears and hands working together. You'll need this skill to do pre-bends.

2) Timing. Timing. Timing. So many players I see or work with lose their timing on bends. A good practice technique is to practice your vibrato with a click track doing quarter notes, then half notes, then 16th notes. This will carry over into your bending.

Playing music well is like wooing the women, timing is everything.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

This
    Click track
    or if you’re old metronome

mic drop
    Mark

The modern guitarist's two great pillars to good playing: practice and read. Back in the old days there was no map or manual available. Nowadays, you can learn a lot by reading and applying.

So, woodshed as much as you can, try to have fun while doing it, and you'll improve.

As for reading, here's a nice article

https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/...g-blues-guitar

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The issue you describe is often but not always associated with improper wrist postion.

I would focus on two things b3efore that:

1) Make sure you are bending to pitch. Use your tuner to get your ears and hands working together. You'll need this skill to do pre-bends.

2) Timing. Timing. Timing. So many players I see or work with lose their timing on bends. A good practice technique is to practice your vibrato with a click track doing quarter notes, then half notes, then 16th notes. This will carry over into your bending.

Playing music well is like wooing the women, timing is everything.
    I have actually been working on #1. For example, starting at A on the g string, 14th fret and then bending up to B, then immediately playing the B on the 12th fret, b string. Conveniently this also is part of the solo to Communication Breakdown so I’m killing two birds with one stone.

Also been working on actually knowing the notes on the fretboard. 😂 That’s a lot easier on the piano, I can still easily ID them on the piano (played piano for 11 years) but it’s comparatively confusing on guitar.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    The modern guitarist's two great pillars to good playing: practice and read. Back in the old days there was no map or manual available. Nowadays, you can learn a lot by reading and applying.

So, woodshed as much as you can, try to have fun while doing it, and you'll improve.

As for reading, here's a nice article

https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/...g-blues-guitar

I’ll watch this next time I have a few, thank you! Looks like I also need work with a metronome. I don’t call it a click track, I still call it a metronome app