Thread: Is there a good Fender amplifier tech in South Carolina?

Forum Member

Is there a good Fender amplifier tech in South Carolina?

I recently inherited some treasured (for me!) musical equipment, including a 1969 Vibrolux Reverb silver face amplifier. It is in need of refurbishment/repair. I've found some techs in other states online, but am looking for a reliable individual/shop in South Carolina who prefers to leave amplifiers in a mostly original state and who does quality work. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have somewhat of a background in electronics, but have never worked on amplifiers. I know that this amplifier has replacement (Sprague) filter caps, but most of the other caps/resistors look original. It power on, but it is noisy with nothing connected, and the when "reverb" is turned up at all, the noise increases. I can play through it, but it is noisy. All of the tubes light up, but I don't have a tube tester. Really don't know where to begin, and I don't want to randomly start replacing components that don't need to be replaced!

Any help getting started would be great.......

I supppose as a first step I could purchase an F&T (Mersen) kit and a tube kit and replace the filter caps and tubes as a start then go from there?
    Last edited by jrgeib; 07-14-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Is there a good Fender amplifier tech in South Carolina?

You might ask around at local guitar shops and see if any of the staff there can point you in the right direction. Also, check with local musicians and see who they recommend.

Good luck in your quest.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    You might ask around at local guitar shops and see if any of the staff there can point you in the right direction. Also, check with local musicians and see who they recommend.

Good luck in your quest.
    Thank you for the reply. Sadly even the most popular music shops around me don't have any amp tech recommendations. They all work on guitars, but not amps. Maybe I need to learn and start my own business! I'll try to ask some other musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgeib View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Sadly even the most popular music shops around me don't have any amp tech recommendations. They all work on guitars, but not amps. Maybe I need to learn and start my own business! I'll try to ask some other musicians.
    Really? no recommendations? I get if they had their own techs if they wouldn;t talk about outside guys, but if there's musicians, there's amps that need fixing - do these places tell everyone to throw it away and get a new one?
    Wish I could help, but I'm nowhere near that.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.