Thread: Open "G"

Open "G"

I've started messing around with open G tuning. Right now, I can't help but think everything I'm trying sounds like me wanting to emulate Keith Richards. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think I could get bored really quickly if that's all I'm doing. Anyone got tips, tricks, song suggestions, tabs, YouTube videos or the like to help me better get there?

Thanks!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Re: Open "G"

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I've started messing around with open G tuning. Right now, I can't help but think everything I'm trying sounds like me wanting to emulate Keith Richards. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think I could get bored really quickly if that's all I'm doing. Anyone got tips, tricks, song suggestions, tabs, YouTube videos or the like to help me better get there?

Thanks!
    No help, he’s the only guy I’ve heard to use Open G for “not slide” playing. I assume it’s a slide tuning - may have even read where Keith started messing around with it first as a slide tuning they started figuring out how to make chord shapes with it. Maybe pivot to using it for slide?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Others that used open G.

Robert Johnson
    Joni Mitchell
    George Thorogood
    Rich Robinson
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Others that used open G.

Robert Johnson
    Joni Mitchell
    George Thorogood
    Rich Robinson
    I forgot that The Black Crowes had a bunch of stuff in open g. Which I don’t know but I saw a rig rundown with Rich robinson’s guitar tech and I think he only had one guitar in standard tuning, the other like 13 guitars were all in open tunings, open g included.
    Got them Statesboro Blues