Thread: Ultra Strat Neck Question

Forum Member

Ultra Strat Neck Question

I originally posted this on the Telecaster Forum but never had any responses. Hopefully someone on the Strat Forum my be able to shed some insight. I also have an “Ultra Stratocaster.”

I really like my American Ultra Tele but I do have a concern with the neck. It is the “modern D neck.” If I am playing “cowboy chords” on the first couple of frets, especially the C chord, I find there is not enough space and my fingers seem to mute the top E string unless I change my position The rest of the neck is fine. So my question, is there another neck, perhaps not as thin that would help resolve this problem?

Hope this is not a stupid question and any help or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ultra Strat Neck Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tuki View Post
    I originally posted this on the Telecaster Forum but never had any responses. Hopefully someone on the Strat Forum my be able to shed some insight. I also have an “Ultra Stratocaster.”

I really like my American Ultra Tele but I do have a concern with the neck. It is the “modern D neck.” If I am playing “cowboy chords” on the first couple of frets, especially the C chord, I find there is not enough space and my fingers seem to mute the top E string unless I change my position The rest of the neck is fine. So my question, is there another neck, perhaps not as thin that would help resolve this problem?

Hope this is not a stupid question and any help or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds more like a technique issue than a neck issue. The Ultra neck is wonderfully playable. I haven't seen you play, but what you describe is common to poor wrist positioning. Your thumb, and not your palm, should be on the back of the neck. You can palm the neck for some chords but not the cowboy chords.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Re: Ultra Strat Neck Question

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sounds more like a technique issue than a neck issue. The Ultra neck is wonderfully playable. I haven't seen you play, but what you describe is common to poor wrist positioning. Your thumb, and not your palm, should be on the back of the neck. You can palm the neck for some chords but not the cowboy chords.
    Thank you Offshore Angler. I have been working on keeping the thumb on the back of the neck and will continue to do so.