Thread: EJ Stratocaster Pickup Selector Switch question

Forum Member

EJ Stratocaster Pickup Selector Switch question

I've had my EJ for about 17 years, it has served me well, excellent instrument. Is there some way to brighten up the position 2 and 4 of the selector switch?

Re: EJ Stratocaster Pickup Selector Switch question

What amp are you using?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    What amp are you using?
    Quilter Aviator Cub

TFF Stage Crew

I don't know how the EJ Strats are wired, but I ffg o know something about Strats in general. You problem is not the switch. You might try some different potentiometer &/or capacitors, though

The pickups are wired in parallel with each other in positions 2 & 4 and that lowers the output a tiny bit. Also, the tone of the combined pickups also has a bit less presence than single pickups.
    What I've done, and I've seen others do, is to lower the guitar's volume slightly and set up the amp to work well with the guitar's volume setting. Then when positions 2 or 4 are selected, raise the guitar's volume to compensate for the slight volume loss.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The pickups are wired in parallel with each other in positions 2 & 4 and that lowers the output a tiny bit. Also, the tone of the combined pickups also has a bit less presence than single pickups.
    What I've done, and I've seen others do, is to lower the guitar's volume slightly and set up the amp to work well with the guitar's volume setting. Then when positions 2 or 4 are selected, raise the guitar's volume to compensate for the slight volume loss.
    Thank you