Thread: '80 SF Princeton?

'80 SF Princeton?

Another case of GAS. Looks like I'm buying a 1980 Princeton that's in fairly good shape. The thing that is stange about this is that it is a SF 1980 model and according to the Fender Field Amp Guide the Princeton was last made in 1979. Pots and chassis serial # show it is indeed a 1980. Did Fender just have left over parts? Anyway teh Princetons circuit remained the same through the 70's didn't it?

Forum Member
    Sure it's not a 1970? Check the Serial number against Greg Gagliano's data: http://www.tcguitar.com/pages/fendamp5.htm

Did the cabinets change from having screwed in baffles to built in to the cabinet baffles on Princeton Reverbs in the '70s?

Originally posted by banding
    Sure it's not a 1970? Check the Serial number against Greg Gagliano's data: http://www.tcguitar.com/pages/fendamp5.htm
    I did.

"F0 + 5-digits - 1980"

The seller also ran all the other codes on the pots and transformers and all come up as 1980. One of those oddities I guess. Has the regular Fender grillcloth though not the orange stripe thread that was commonly used oin the late 70s.

fezz parka
    If it's got a pull boost, it's a 1980.

NO Push Pull thankfully! And the amp hasn't been modified.

fezz parka
    I am a .

Princeton. P-R-I-N-C-E-T-O-N.

I see the letters, and I think "reverb"

Fezz the .

No Reverb

-----I see the letters, and I think "reverb" ---

Could be that the heat buildup under that Fezz hat is causing these irregularities? :tw59

What happens when I mention "Deluxe" ? How about Bandmaster?

fezz parka

Re: No Reverb

Originally posted by Gtrplyr
    -----I see the letters, and I think "reverb" ---

Could be that the heat buildup under that Fezz hat is causing these irregularities? :tw59

What happens when I mention "Deluxe" ? How about Bandmaster?
    Now lemme think...

Deluxe, I think reverb.

Bandmaster, I think oxblood.

Bandmaster Reverb, I think of a Super Reverb with a puny 4 ohm ot.

And yes, the heat buildup from the fez does cause "problems". :tw59

Hey Fezz-
    According to Ampwares, the Princeton (non reverb;)) did have the pull boost added just like it's big brother, the PR.

fezz parka
    Originally posted by BlueFrogs
    Hey Fezz-
    According to Ampwares, the Princeton (non reverb;)) did have the pull boost added just like it's big brother, the PR.
    That's kinda weird, cuz the pull boost needs a reverb driver stage to do it's very ugly thang...
    Last edited by fezz parka; 10-14-2003 at 02:20 PM.

So I just received this amp today. I noticed a couple of differences in this particular '80 SF Princeton. It has a strange on/off switch (up down) that also doubles as an A-B ground switch that goes from side to side.

It also came through with the silver and black grillcloth that was probably used on the other early 80s blackface amps.--Oooopss [edit] I just pulled the baffle and see it actually did have a turquoise strip in it. It has been thoughly bleached of from light apparently because it looks black from the front but the overlap shows the turqoise thread.

Sure sounds nice though! Much more full sounding with nice bass response in comparison to my V-Champ. While I still like the Champ I feel the Princeton is better all around practice amp.
    Last edited by Gtrplyr; 10-15-2003 at 06:46 PM.