Thread: Actual wammy bar question for Jazzmaster

Forum Member

Actual wammy bar question for Jazzmaster

Hi Guys,

I got a 40th annniversary Jazzmaster Squier and the trem arm is so long, it's about 2.5-3 inches longer than where it's ergonomically where I like it. I like to play above my bridge pickup or just a little south of there, with the trem arm held with my pinkie and ring finger. I could easily pry off the white plastic cap, cut it with a hack-saw and it would probably work. And the other thing I would have to do is remove the arm, put it in a hole of some sort and bend it so that it plays about 1.5 inches closer to the strings. The way it is now, it is literally like 3.5 inches away from the strings and nowhere near where a typical person would do any picking with it in their hand.

This is a pressure fit arm not with threads. So, does anyone have experience with an off-the-shelf replacement trem arm that would work or shall I just break out the old hacksaw? I have pulled off some great mods so it is not intimidating or anything.

Thanks in advance!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Actual wammy bar question for Jazzmaster

You're probably better off hand-massaging the trem arm yourself. I would begin by shortening the length to your liking then bend the arm to suit. Work slowly and deliberately. No hot-dogging.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Yeah I read a guy's post where he cut it so short it was rendered usless at like 3-4 inches! That'd be annoying for sure. Thanks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If necessary, shorten it in increments until you find it comfortable to use, say a half inch at a time. Be sure to de-bur the cut end so it doesn't tear up the tip when you slide it back on.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."