Thread: Solid State Fender Amp: Stage 100 DSP

Forum Member

Solid State Fender Amp: Stage 100 DSP

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these. It's small, lightweight, cheap, has a bunch of effects, plenty of power. Anyone out there use one? Have any comments about it first, things I should know about? I already have all the tube amps I need (3). I want a good SS amp that's powerful and easy to carry around.

MODEL NAME: Stage 100 DSP
    MODEL NUMBER: 22-67000-020
    SERIES: Dyna-Touch PlusTM Series
    TYPE: Solid State
    OUTPUT: 100 watts into 8 ohms, 160 watts into 4 ohms
    OHMS: 8 ohms (4 ohms with Extension Speaker)
    SPEAKERS: 1-12" Celestion G12T-100/1887, 8 ohm Speaker, p/n 0054420000
    CHANNELS: Three Selectable Channels (Normal, Drive and More Drive)
    FEATURES:
    DSP Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flange, Tremolo
    Dedicated Tone Controls for Normal and Drive Channels
    Dedicated Reverb Control for Normal and Drive Channels,
    Effects Loop, Balanced XLR Line Out,
    2-Button 3-Function Footswitch for Channel Select, Drive Select and "More Drive"
    External Speaker Jack,
    Jewel Pilot Light
    CONTROLS
    Normal Channel:
    Volume,
    Treble,
    Mid,
    Bass,
    Channel Select Switch,
    Drive Channel:
    Drive,
    More Drive Switch,
    Volume,
    Treble,
    Mid,
    Mid Contour Switch,
    Bass,
    Effexts Section:
    Reverb Level,
    Reverb Type,
    FX Level,
    FX Select,
    Time/Rate
    COVERING
    Black Textured Vinyl with Silver Grille Cloth
    WEIGHT: 42 lbs (19.1 kg)
    DIMENSIONS
    Height: 17.5" (45 cm)
    Width: 22.4" (56.9 cm)
    Depth: 10.2" (25.9 cm)
    SHIPPING WEIGHT: 47 lbs
    COVER: Uses Cover, p/n 0029888000, (Not Included)
    ACCESSORIES: Comes with 2-Button 3-Function Footswitch for Channel Select, Drive Select and "More Drive" Select, p/n 0050419000

Algernon,
    I'm with you, thats what I want next is a stage 100. I've played 'em at the dealers here, and can find no complaints.
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub

Forum Member

I'm surprised that

more geezers aren't into these little SS amps. They are really lightweight and powerful. But everyone knows how those old farts (geezers) don't like to lug around real heavy equipment anymore. Then again maybe it's that tube versus solid state snobbery thing coming out. Geezers who still play (myself included) are usually affluent enough by the time they become geezers to buy whatever amp they want, money not being the main issue anymore. So they opt for tube amps cause that's what they want, weight aside.

Overall, tube amps do sound a little warmer than SS amps because they produce the even harmonics when overdriven. SS amps have yet to really be able to adequately differentiate between the odd and even harmonics (SS amps deliver both when overdriven) and capitolize on this. That's what makes tube amps sound so much better when overdriven, those even harmonics.

If the electronic whiz kids at amp factories ever learn how to build a circuit that boosts the even harmonics in overdrive mode, SS amps will then compete fully with tube amps. In my humble opinion (IMHO). Supposedly Carvin SS amps do this with their true tube emulation circuitry, but carvin remains a fringe company and fringe product, having to buy direct from them. Now it they had amps in music stores people could demo, might be a different story.

Yeah, I bought my Princeton 65 because it was powerful and light wieght. The tone in great for a solid state. I just upgrade to the Stage 100 with the gain boost (more drive) channel. I've played SS amps most of my life and really like 'em. I had one tube Twin once that was just an awesome amp. Do wish I had that one back. But I am well pleased with my SS Fenders. I also have a Power Chorus from around '85-87 that has TONS of power, but the O/D is not that great, so I just augment with a pedal on that one.
    Aaron
    Play it like ya mean it.

Forum Member

The buzz on the street is that...

these SS amps (Stage 100 DSP specifically) made a pretty big splash at the recent NAMM show. In fact, stores like Mars and GC are awaiting delivery of these newest models as we speak. First arrivals on the east coast should be around end of August, first of September. I think they're going to go pretty quick once they do come in though.

Our local Fender dealer can't keep a stage 100, 160 or Deluxe 90 in stock. They sell within 2 days from coming in. He says he may have to open up an area in his store and stock a few extras of these. I personally like SS amps, and can see why they sell so fast.
    Aaron
    Play it like ya mean it.

Forum Member
    I think part of the appeal of these amps is their inherent simplicity. Blackface design with digital effects that are easy to understand and dial in. I've seen some of these new modeling amps that look like they require a degree in nuclear physics to operate.

Forum Member
    Algernon, I have several tube amps and I bought a Stage 100 for the reason you just stated. Simplicity. Flip it on and play, no warm up. Light weight, small, easy to move, and it sounds good. I bought mine just to use at home but it gets as much playing out time as my tube amps. I also bought the Fender DT112 extension cab. When you plug a Stage 100 into an extension cab it deliveres 160 watts!

P.S. Mine is not the DSP model.