Thread: Do I have Alnico or Ceramic magnets in my Pro Reverb?

Do I have Alnico or Ceramic magnets in my Pro Reverb?

I've got an old 68 Pro with blue lable Fender Special Design speakers. I'm thinking they are ceramic but want to know for sure. I looked for any other labeling, like on the basket, but there isnt anything.

second question, assuming they are ceramic, I'm looking for good replacements. Any Pro Reverb owners that can share some speaker experiences with me? Alltone's, Jensen's, Weber's perhaps??

Thanks,
    Tub

Forum Member

Re: Do I have Alnico or Ceramic magnets in my Pro Reverb?

Originally posted by hottub
    I've got an old 68 Pro with blue lable Fender Special Design speakers. I'm thinking they are ceramic but want to know for sure. I looked for any other labeling, like on the basket, but there isnt anything.

second question, assuming they are ceramic, I'm looking for good replacements. Any Pro Reverb owners that can share some speaker experiences with me? Alltone's, Jensen's, Weber's perhaps??

Thanks,
    Tub
    Tubley,
    I dunno, bend over and I'll tell ya. :lolspin

Seriously, I have Utahs (328xxx) in my '68 SFPR, and I always thought they were Alnicos. What's in yours?

Ceramic are large square or round, an off grey color. Alnico have a u shaped keeper around them, are shiny, and are much smaller in diameter.

well, they are about 4" round in diameter with no U shape keepers. They look to be about the size of the magnet on a C12Q. hmm, maybe thats what they are. Definitely smaller than an 'N' series magnet.

Ok, so now let's hear about some Alnico replacements! :)

Forum Member

"basket case"

Originally posted by hottub
    well, they are about 4" round in diameter with no U shape keepers. They look to be about the size of the magnet on a C12Q. hmm, maybe thats what they are. Definitely smaller than an 'N' series magnet.

Ok, so now let's hear about some Alnico replacements! :)
    Tubbz,
    No EIA/Date codes stamped on the perimeter of the basket-back? Should be a '328yww'(Utah), '465yww'(Oxford) or '220yww'(Jensen).

*yww = year/week

that's the strange thing, no codes around the edge of the baskets. Although I can recall seeing numbers on the magnets. I'll check em out when I get home. Also, they may not even be original ones for that year and model. Although when I had the amp serviced a few months ago, all the internal parts, caps, etc were from '68.

That's ceramic for sure.