Thread: CTS Pots

Forum Member

CTS Pots

Do CTS pots effect tone in any way? I recently acquired someones project strat, and it has these. Guitar sounds good, has custon shop pickups.

Forum Member
    CTS is the industry standard for a good pot more or less. I get a lot of folks wanting me to put them in Gibsons as the current pots aren't great.
    My favorite are the ones PRS uses. The taper is smooth and very usable, but they only come in 500K. A buddy of mine at the factory tells me that the pots are made specifically for PRS. If only there was a 250K version! I've been thinking about trying some of Weber's pots (for amps) as the taper is 30% Anyone try these yet? They are the standard 3/8" bushing etc.

Re: CTS Pots

Originally posted by mattb
    Do CTS pots effect tone in any way? I recently acquired someones project strat, and it has these. Guitar sounds good, has custon shop pickups.
    I'll bet those Custom Shop PUP's have a bigger impact on that great sound than the pots...
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

Forum Member
    Bournes and Clarostat are the best pots.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Jim, where might one aquire Bournes and Clarostat pots? Thanks :)
    The man with magic hands.

Registered
    Clarostat is a quality pot (if you can find them), but if you solder to the case be aware that the plastic wiper assembly rides against the inside of the case. If you heat up the case too much the innards will melt.

Bourns are great if you can find them.

CTS is the easiest to find and they are a lot better than CGE. CTS has a fairly rugged internal construction like the Clarostat. The internals are a little less prone to melting as compared to Clarostat if you are soldering to the case.

Stay away from CGE, they are total garbage.