Thread: Repro Decals & Ethics

TFF Stage Crew

Repro Decals & Ethics

Got a problem with 'em? Not to defraud anyone, but for replication or restotation purposes. I'm waitng for someone to post one for sale here, & see what happens as opposed to what might happen at another forum.

Registered
    There about a billion of those decals floating around, nobody is ever going to be able to stop the use of them. If you are not going to try to decieve someone by dishonestly by using a decal to pass off a guitar as the real deal, I say why not? Obviously if someone is trying to screw people with the use of them, I have a problem with that. I've stuck them on repro guitars before, but I've never passed them of as real Fenders. I've also used them for restoration as well. A decal sure beats looking at a blank headstock.

I honestly don't care if someone sells one here, the forum takes no responsibility for what is sold on the board. If someone has an issue with them, take it up with the seller.

I agree re: decals. I just don't like looking at a blank headstock. Not exactly sure why. A while back when I was having problems with my fender neck, I considered putting on a Warmoth neck and getting a decal. Not to defraud anybody, just for my own purposes.
    This has been a famous mortimer production

I always liked the ones that said "Ferden Sortacaster."

I really should have bought some of those...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Forum Member

decals

I believe it is perfectly fine to use a decal for a restoration, but not for "clones" or "replicas". Only Fender manufactured instruments desrve to have the Fender label. If it looks blank up there, have a custom decal made.

For restorations we take pictures and get them free, directly from Fender.
    71818 if you can supply pics of the original guitar try customer service at fender they will point you in the right direction.

Forum Member
    You are right. Fender will provide you with a decal. All you have to do is bring your guitar and pictures of your guitar to a Fender Authorized warranty Service center. When they decide your guitar is a legitimate Fender product, they send Fender the pics of the guitar and Fender send them a decal to apply to your guitar.
    Last edited by Jim Shine; 08-02-2002 at 08:45 PM.

Originally posted by Jim Shine
    You are right. Fender will provide you with a decal. All you have to do is bring your guitar and pictures of your guitar to a Fender Authorized warranty Service center. When they decide your guitar is a legitimate Fender product, they send Fender the pics of the guitar and Fender send them a decal to apply to your guitar.
    Is it legal to apply that decal on another guitar?
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

TFF Stage Crew
    I'm sure it's not. And the Authorized repair person is probably not going to give it to you to apply, either. I want one for a replica, not a Fender product.
    Years ago I had a "Homer" LE Strat & the decal flaked almost completely off. Fender gave me such a runaround that I eventually gave up (Hooray! they won) & offed it for cheap.
    Last edited by Cogs; 08-02-2002 at 09:14 PM.

I made my own

I made my own, but I didn't make it to look perfectly identical or to fool anyone. It's just so that the guitar "looks right" at a glance. It just says Fender in the script but has none of the patent detail info.

TFF Stage Crew
    How did you do it? Is it a waterslide decal?

Yes

Yes, it was a waterslide decal. Made with a scanner, a graphics package some decal sheets and an inkjet printer. It went on after the sealer coat and before the bulk of the clear coats. It turned out great.

Forum Member
    I bought one on Ebay recently for $25 for my USA Custom tele. It was alot but I paid $10 for one that ripped to shreds when I wet it.This one came with a guarantee. Really looks sweet. They are all over the web.

On my George Harrison clones, I paint the logo by hand.

Closeup of logo on painted headstock

And another that went to a guy in a Beatles tribute band. He wanted a transition logo
    Blaming Columbine on guns is like blaming Rosie O'Donnell's fatness on spoons

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Eh, why bother? I fan made me one for my clones. I now have two "Firme Chicanocasters"!
    Last edited by Ace; 08-14-2002 at 08:43 AM.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Ace
    Eh, why bother? I fan made me one for my clones. I know have two "Firme Chicanocasters"!
    I guess we should be thankful that you didn't use "Fender" name on the headstock of THAT guitar, huh?

Obviously, the "-caster" suffix is an attempt to indicate a connection to corporate Fender, but I REALLY don't think even THEY would enjoy hearing of your racially toned model name.

I hate seeing posters put up terms that some folks (such as writer Jaime Guerra) find offensive -- even if you find it fashionable today.

Hey -- write whatever you want on your headstock, but trying to hookup a term that many consider racist with "-caster" as a suffix is so far off the "ethics" scale as to make putting a Fender sticker on your Fender clone look angelic.

Please consider keeping your "humor" to private emails.

BTW -- you couldn't POSSIBLY be that ex-moderator at the FDP that used to sandbag others with charges of RACISM, could you? I mean -- THAT would be PRICELESS!!

TFF Stage Crew
    Since when is "chicano" racist & derogatory?

Forum Member
    Originally posted by 71818
    Since when is "chicano" racist & derogatory?
    I think it was "...offensive and as racist..." in this particular article. Here's an indicator:

http://www.asn.csus.edu/em-ncfr/down...tiste1993a.htm

Excerpt:
    "The best way to get Latinos arguing," wrote Frank Del Olmo of the Los Angeles Times, is to ask them how they should call themselves." How true. I asked a handful of colleagues for their ethnic identification and I got a handful of responses: Hispanic, Latino, Chicano, Mexican-American, Mexicano and Cubano. Latinos strongly disagree on a singular ethnic name for themselves and many passionately defend their personal preference."

"For example, Los Angeles Publisher Roberto Rodriguez, proudly calls himself a "Chicano" because for him the name reaffirms his Mexican heritage. Yet, Jaime Guerra, a columnist from Pomona, never uses the word "Chicano" which he view as offensive and as racist as the term "Nigger".

I'm not even caring to say who's right or wrong on labeling themselves or others -- especially on a Fender Forum, but I can certainly see it's not going over well with all to put "-caster" on the end of any term with racist overtones. If you do it, keep it home -- or keep it at your gigs.

Some find it funny -- some get offended.

Why post it here? Especially from someone that has pulled out the "RACE CARD" on LGRooster so easily (and without any reason or example, I might add). [See thread called "FDP - Changed??? No Problem" on the "Off Topic" area]

Actually, Chicano is a political term, created by Mexican Americans, for Mexican Americans. As a Mexican-American, I embrace this term as my identity. The only people who find the term racist are Mexican-Americans who don't embrace Chicano politics. These people are trying to turn a word that has NEVER BEFORE had racist overtones.

The term "N*****" (which you so casually spell out) was used by one race of people, to refer to another. Blacks didn't call themselves this term, Caucasians did. If you can't tell the difference, you must not be running on all cylinders. This argument is silly...
    Last edited by Ace; 08-14-2002 at 08:52 AM.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Ace
    Actually, Chicano is a political term, created by Mexican Americans, for Mexican Americans. As a Mexican-American, I embrace this term as my identity. The only people who find the term racist are Mexican-Americans who don't embrace Chicano politics. These people are trying to turn a word that has NEVER BEFORE had racist overtones.

The term "N*****" (which you so casually spell out) was used by one race of people, to refer to another. Blacks didn't call themselves this term, Caucasians did. If you can't tell the difference, you must not be running on all cylinders. This argument is silly...
    First, I don't "casually spell out" anything. Believe it.

Second -- of course it's a silly argument. It's lazy and sad and used by many to foment trouble and insert political content where thee should be none. You can ALWAYS find some source to argue that ANYTHING is racist these days. It's just TOO easy to pull the race card and it's totally out of control, IMHO.

I used it to point out to Ace that ANYONE can pull the race card as he did in another post here recently on Senor LG Rooster.

TRANSLATION: ACE -- chill. I was just pulling your leg.
    While I'll pass on the Chicanocaster, I'll consider my own "Mickcaster" while tipping back a Guiness in your honor.

Well -- I'm back to installing aircraft hydralics on my '64 Impala -- gotta go!!

Wow, you need a hobby. I hear guitar is nice...

Originally posted by Ace
    Wow, you need a hobby. I hear guitar is nice...
    I totally agree...you should take your own advice and stick to talking about guitars on this forum.
    Last edited by jisham; 08-14-2002 at 02:34 PM.
    Rockin' in the free world . . .

Wow...where did this thread go?????

:flush

Originally posted by jisham

I totally agree...you should take your own advice and stick to talking about guitars on this forum.
    Wow, aren't you helping...

Forum Member
    Let's get back on course........

You should ALWAYS use a Fender decal because those 'lil roundish Chiquita stickers and fruit labels can dry up and fall off your headstock embarrasingly during backward mini-tramp jumps over your Marshall stack.

It just looks slack to see them fluttering to the ground after you've just slammed your Chuck Taylors to the floor.

TFF Stage Crew
    O.K. then- Crackercaster it is.

Forum Member
    O.K. then- Crackercaster it is.
    I believe the official "Crackercaster" is the one with bottled beer labels that "sweated" off those Tall Boys applied to the headstock.

Just peel and press -- on the practical side, really cheezy stuff like THAT seems to mysteriously bond to the headstock for life.

(Options include initials, nickname or Union Local applied on guitar body with reflectorized mailbox lettering).

Also most "Crackercasters" are seen hanging in their "presentation guitar rack" in the rear window of pickup trucks -- next to the "Proudly Made In The USA.....well, actually Corona, but close enough!" bumpersticker.

TFF Stage Crew
    I don't appreciate your racist remarks.

Forum Member
    I don't appreciate your racist remarks.
    You're correct, of course.

I apologize to the totality of the Cracker Race and ALL those that believe West Virginia is actually "almost heaven". I apologize to Senator Robert Byrd and all other repentant ex-Klan members. I apologize to their farm animals and other kit & kin.

I fully respect the toothless backbone of our great country and just want to say in my defense that some of my best friends drive "trucks" that were once cars. I, myself, once owned a vehicle painted in the official Cracker color: Primer Red!

I promise I will hold my thoughts when I see you have a Bud Light pool table light hanging over your dining room table.

I will, by way of penance, be contributing to the "Redman Chewing Tobacco Emergency Fund" for those in need (of a good "chaw").

So -- as a sign of soldarity with those that must go to the DMV to transfer the title to their home, I close now with the official Cracker Credo: "EAT MORE POSSUM!"

TFF Stage Crew

This has turned into a really stupid conversation!

Please continue it in emails.