Thread: Best Acoustic Strings for Bright Tones

Best Acoustic Strings for Bright Tones

I usually string my Martin with Martin SP strings. I use extra lights because of the way the HD28-VL (1996 Vintage Lefty) is built--has a heavy bass response due to the inner scalloping.

What strings do you use for your acoustics? Do you like a bright tone like I do?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Best Acoustic Strings for Bright Tones

I don't have the wrapper (should have saved it or taken a picture for reference, hindsight etc etc) but I think they were Martin phosphor bronze 10s. Don't know what was on the guitar before, they could have been the same strings that came with it when we bought it at the pawnshop for my nephew 5 or 6 years ago. They are lighter than what was on there. I fudged the installation of the first set and thought that what was causing buzzing on open strings G and D and somewhat on B and A. So I immediately bought another set, watched a jillion youtubes and hopefully did a better job. Buzzing still there though. Not sure what to do, I don't want to put 11s on it but I also don't want to put money into it since it is not a good enough of a guitar to do that.

I use the Martin phosphor 10's as well. I like the fact I don't have to use much effort to play the 10's my hands are old..lol

Thinking of retiring my acoustic ( Sigma\ Martin HR- D 28) she has seen a lot of play I love that guitar...
    Been lookin nothing yet to strike my fancy...

Phosphor Bronze are brighter than 80/20 - I prefer the sound of 80/20s on most of my guitars. I found that trying different strings and sticking with what sounds good works for me. Mostly I put Elixir Nanoweb lights on my acoustics, but one of my Guilds sounds better with Phosphor Bronze.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

My 000-15M came with phos bronze Martin SP Lifespan 12-54. I've experimented with a few different strings and have Martin SP phos bronze SP 11-52 (not Lifespan) on it now. I like the strings to be bright, but not metallic sounding (maybe the mahogany top takes care of that). 12-54 was just to thick for me.

Thanks guys. I've just ordered a set of the Martin Lifespan extra lights, phosphor. I love Martin strings, and I believe I had bought some of these and wound up giving the set I had to my former brother-in-law. I'm terrible about giving away things I could use myself...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

FWIW, and maybe late to the party, but I use the MSP4100s also. Just to me the balance of sound that I want to hear - on Martin HD28, D18, an Ovation and a cheapo no-name - and playability, plus for me they last a good long time.
    I've tried most other brands over time, D'addario, EB, Elixir, and on and on and on, and I like the Martins the best.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.